~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~
Please join our forum. Ads go away for members!

~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~

The Worlds Finest Trailerable Vintage Cruising Sailboats Designed By Renowned W.I.B. Crealock N.A.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Google Map Of CM's  clipper-sailor.net  Main Page  
Latest topics
» Cruising
by Triticum Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:10 pm

» CM32 trailer setup
by martinc2 Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:02 pm

» Rudder replacement
by Triticum Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:53 pm

» Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?
by Triticum Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:15 pm

» Looking for Traveler Track for my '71 CM21
by Tim Mueller Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 pm

» Need Rigging for CM30, any thoughts on where to find it?
by JeffLee Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:04 pm

» Added Clipper Marine To Groups On Facebook
by tundrabunny Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:28 pm

» New guy lurking about for pics
by JeffLee Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:28 am

» Parting out Clipper Marine 21/ Free project boat in Michigan
by Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:04 am

» Mast repair
by Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:49 am

» Nice CM-30 for Sale in New York
by Gary Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:48 am

» CM26 Specs
by Rick26h Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:35 am

» New Member - Rockport Tx
by FreeReign Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:21 pm

» Discovery! Clipper Marine 9.3
by zdm40 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:18 pm

» Keel bolt replacement,
by martinc2 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:14 pm

» CM21 swing keel lifting system hardware
by JeffLee Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:20 am

» New member from Northern California
by JeffLee Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:25 pm

» CM 21 Upgrades
by JeffLee Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:30 am

» New boat! CM32 aft cockpit sloop
by Gary Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:59 pm

» CM21 project boat almost giveaway
by kimgwinn Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:00 pm

Keywords

Share | 

Mark any news on the Catalina?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Everett CM32
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sailboat : CM32 Aft Cockpit
Male Join date : 2011-12-28
Job/hobbies : Nuclear Nomad

PostSubject: Mark any news on the Catalina?   Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:54 pm

Just wondering if you got to check er out and how it went.

Sailed on a 22 Sunday and was thinking of you. The sailing club that my son works/lives at has Catalina 22's almost exclusively. Think they have 10 or 12. Nice boats and I imagine the 27's are just that much better.

~~~~~ClipperMarine.Org~~~~~Clipper-Sailor.net~~~~~
1977 CM32 Sloop "J.F. Gone" Currently in re-fit, splashing 2013
1972 South Coast Seacraft 26 S/V "Seaweed" on the hook in Key Largo pirat
Back to top Go down
Mark Catalina 27 AZ
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sailboat : Catalina 27
Male Join date : 2012-01-09
Job/hobbies : Rock Quarry President, Sailing, Family

PostSubject: Catalina 27 update   Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:39 pm

Well, since you inquired...

...Wife said sell the current boat first. I ignored her. She repeated it. I replied, "Heard ya the first time!" THat went over well so I took her to the lake Sunday under the pretense of sailing only...When I turned left at the T at the entrance, (and our boat is down to the right) she knew I was up to something. PERFECT timing...The sailboat shop friend of mine was out front of the shop. Wife stayed in the truck. Tom and I talked about the boat...I came back and said Tom wants you and me to see the pics on his computer of the inside of the Catalina 27. We loved the pics, left, went down to the marina, sailed, and took the video and photos I posted Sunday, including the ones when she and I walked over to take pics of the outside.

Fast forward to Monday. I stopped at the credit union to make an inquiry about whether to borrow short term or move other semi-liquid (meaning penalty) money from other investments. Told my wife Monday night what the idiot loan officer said (We need to see the boat...It does not have a trailer...then we can't lend on it...that's absurd--there are ten-million boats in the world--90% of which money was borrowed with the boat as collateral or borrowed on signature. We still need to see the boat...I've got photos of the inside and out...that's not good enough...Then I'll take you to the marina tomorrow to inspect, touch, feel, scratch and sniff, and I'll buy you lunch...I CAN'T ACCEPT lUNCH!. I was kidding 'bout buying lunch--you don't know me very well do you? Tell you what, I'll video tape me holding a current newspaper and I'll then tape the whole friggin' boat inside and out. No, that won't be necessary...I'll check with underwriting. She then says so you'll call me next week? I reply, No, in your very last sentence to me you just said you'd call me to tell me what the underwriter said. (Idiot!)

No call yesterday. No call today. I call her. She says we need inside and outside pics and the VIN (Now we're getting somewhere, says I) She adds, then the underwriter will decide.

Decide? Decide what? I have perfect credit, my wife and I make really good money (she's a big-time IT CIO and I'm president of a thriving company,) all of our free money is tied up in investments, we just bought a new Toyota Tundra quad cab from you. JEEEEEEEZZZZZZ! Just lend me the friggin money, idiots! (It is cheaper for me to borrow $15k at historically low rates than to pay any penalty on moving other monies.

During all of these exchanges, I actually caught her in 2 bold-face lies...didn't call her on them...nope. Waiting 'til I get the boat, then I'm going to a shareholders meeting to report the numerous similar exchanges I've had with their clown lenders.

Fast forward.
I printed the outside pics I took Sunday. Holding them.
Left a message with Tom at the sailboat shop to email me pics...not here yet...not surprised! My sailboat needs are not high on others' priorities list.

When he gives me the pics and VIN, the credit union will advise...advise on what? Lend me the damned money. I will show up with $1$11k - $12k or so cash in hand, lay it out and say, I have amassed the following info on this boat:

These are ASKING prices and appraisals:
NADA lists at $14,080+-, depending on condition (remember, she needs bottom paint at @ $2k)
Yachtworld average asking price is $13,750, less bottom painting!
Average retail is $14,650, less bottom paint
Average Sailboat Listing: $13,273
Average Retail asking price: $14,650, again, less bottom paint.

So, after personal inspection, I will offer perhaps slightly less than the average of all of these, less $2k for bottom paint...or about $12k+-.

Whew!
You asked!

And, if this one does not work out, I've done my homework and can show an unsuspecting seller who is asking too much...like I am for my CM26. :-)

Don't even try to convince me to do the bottom myself...not remotely interested. Will pay others large sum of money so I don't have to do it. I'll later bitch about the quality of work and the time it took! :-)

Mark Cat27 AZ Cool

_/)
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin

Sailboat : Pair CM 32's Aft Cabin Ketch & Aft Cockpit
Male Birthday : 1956-10-17
Job/hobbies : Artist

PostSubject: Re: Mark any news on the Catalina?   Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Because I thought I was closing my shop down a couple weeks or more, and because I thought it was possible my rather expensive truck to have repaired if something broke on the road, was going to California and back, I wondered into my bank (one of them) and borrowed some money.

They asked what it was for, and did not bother to use it as collateral, or even see a photograph. They asked the seller to fax a bill of sale, so they knew where the money was going (IRS keeps track of this stuff, as if it is any of their business)

Insurance on the other hand, when the boat is out of state, did require a little sit down time at my Insurance agent. My agent is a nice guy, that also sails.

The boat will have 1,000,000.00 on it for damage to anything it hits, burns, sinks, scratches, or dammages, and replacment value on boat & trailer.

Gary

Back to top Go down
http://clippermarine.forumotion.com
Mark Catalina 27 AZ
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Mark any news on the Catalina?   Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:46 pm

I am a retired banker...trained for 21 years to HATE (OK, look down my nose at) anyone associated with a credit union--they are lesser persons (at least lesser financial institutions) in my mind's eye. I only continure use them because their rates are better still than my own banks (real financial institutions). Seriously better rates! on my home, pool, vehicles.

I am also retired from having sold my video and multimedia production company.

Retired from banking and from being a selfemployed entrepreneur for 13 years, I wanted to get into my passion of the environment (second only to my passion for sailing), so I went back to school for my masters degree in environmental studies, then I quickly became the top environmental person in one discipline in the state...working in the state...states governments oftentimes use credit unions for their lowly workers. Again, a prejudice of mine...fed and state workers have (from my personal up-close observations of many of my peers) earned their poor reputations as federal workers or state workers...couple that with my distaste for credit union folk, and top that with my continued experience of the "yahoo" business and lending skills of the persons in the credit unions with whom I have dealt, and you have a glimpse into my telling in great detail what a lame lending officer I am to work with in order to save money on a relatively inexpensive boat purchase. My wife does not like the lending person at all, either!

Now, to any other state or federal workers reading this...or credit union people...these are simply my personal observations...I have been both a senior banking officer with hundreds of employees working for me and a lowly state worker...so while I have stated my dislikes for the two "professions" I fully acknowledge that along the way in both careers I too assuredly earned my share of raised brows. And, I also worked with some really fine people who will remain lifelong friends, so my sincere apologies for any offense. Seriously!

Now, to try again to reach the sailboat contact and ask if the boat is available and to get the pics and VIN.

Mark Cat27 AZ Cool

_/)
Back to top Go down
Mark Catalina 27 AZ
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Riggin'-friggin' $#@%$$#^   Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:56 pm

Catalina is sold, deposit on it, supposed to finalize deal on Friday. Told him if it falls through, to call me ASAP! $%$%$$%^

However, he has a 1985 28' Ericson with a stow-boom, diesel, 62+ standing headroom, wheel, supposedly nice for...ouch...asking price of $19,500.

On with my research on the boat, pics, prices, and pros and cons.

Anyone know anything about them?

Mark Cat27 AZ Cool

_/)
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mark any news on the Catalina?   Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:22 pm

Sorry you missed her, but I am glad you posted the pics of the outside window coverings. Seems like a great way to do two things.

One, make any old boat look newer by covering older trim on my boats, and

Two, keeping my window trim and windows protected from further damage from sun, wind, and rain.

Good luck on finding a proper yacht for you.

You want the name / number of the surveyor in southern California that told me there are boats everywhere for sale, dirt cheep? Trip to LA possibly? Have one delivered to you, like I am doing?

Gary

Back to top Go down
Mark Catalina 27 AZ
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Mark any news on the Catalina?   Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:27 pm

Would not hurt to have the surveyor's number handy, but if in CA, i will make the drive; we love San Diego and LA is just 2 hours north.

Initial research is the Ericson 28 is averaging $18,500, about a grand cheaper than our lake's current Ericson asking price...BTW, that boat is like 2 or 3 boats away from mine. They look pretty nice inside. I like the lines, so I am at least initiall interested. Going sailing again either tomorrow or Friday 'cuz the winds are up with a front coming in to AZ. Yeah! more sailing!

Mark Cat27 AZ Cool

_/)
Back to top Go down
Mark Catalina 27 AZ
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Catalina 22s   Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:38 pm

I owned a south Coast 22, my first sailboat. OK starter.

Then I bought a great Catalina 22, loved, loved, loved sailing on that boat with my family. Tons of great sailing pics and videos. I'll see if I can share a few here...

[img]http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/17/17/47/31/03_01

[url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=38&u=17174731]

Mark Cat27 AZ Cool

_/)
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mark any news on the Catalina?   Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:03 pm

Mark CM26 AZ wrote:
Would not hurt to have the surveyor's number handy, but if in CA, i will make the drive; we love San Diego and LA is just 2 hours north.

Initial research is the Ericson 28 is averaging $18,500, about a grand cheaper than our lake's current Ericson asking price...BTW, that boat is like 2 or 3 boats away from mine. They look pretty nice inside. I like the lines, so I am at least initiall interested. Going sailing again either tomorrow or Friday 'cuz the winds are up with a front coming in to AZ. Yeah! more sailing!

Ronald J. Sado - Accredited Marine Surveyor 1993
SeaCraft Marine Surveyors
3600 S. Harbor Blvd., Suite 299
Oxnard, California 93035
805-479-9282 -Cell
badwrench@verizon.net
Specialty: Yachts, Small Craft

Gary

Back to top Go down
Mark Catalina 27 AZ
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Thanks for the surveyor info   Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks

Mark Cat27 AZ Cool

_/)
Back to top Go down
Everett CM32
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Mark any news on the Catalina?   Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Holy crapoly!! That just sucks......

(Whole bunch of stuff that I better refrain from saying here)

It never ceases to amaze me, that someone such as yourself can be ¥£¢πed with so bad by a random douchebag!! Evil or Very Mad

OK Mom said something about if you can't say anything nice....

Well I have heard good things about Ericsons. Things happed for a reason but sometimes it still makes us wonder eh?

April and I have money withdrawn automatically monthly atomatically from our checking into a mutual fund. It is very diverse, many, many companies involved. It is not high profit but also not high risk. No huge gains but no big losses either. What we like though is that w/ a phone call we can have our money in three business days. The only penalty is for money that is less than 12 months old. We paid cash for our CM and Aprils Mustang w/ it. When we bought Gone it was not earning much, basically a savings account, so no big loss of investment potential. When we bought her Mustang the gains were pretty good and we probably should have borrowed. But we hate to borrow. To much like begging candy like a two year old from a well you know.

Wishing you all the best Mark.

Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mark any news on the Catalina?   Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:17 pm

If you can, purchase a boat that someone is walking away from for whatever reason, is saves you money.

A buddy of mine sold a store to a competitor, and the guy said to my friend, sold, but we will close the deal on Monday. My friend did not much like the guy that pretty much forced him out of business. Well, over that weekend, my friend, had one hell of a sale in his store, wall to wall.

On Monday, the new owner came in and looked around, and asked him why the place looked different, and my friend said, we cleaned the place up for you.

Lots of things happen to people, where they just want out, and the money is not a big factor.

Call that surveyor, and maybe he can steer you into the boat of your dreams. He offered me other boat suggestions, but being rather foolish in my old age, I told him I loved Clipper Marine sailboats. In some ways, that is like loving a 3 legged cow. Sure she moos, and does fertilize the garden, but at market time, not much to show as in investment.

The surveyor told me he has never seen so many boats everywhere, as people are just walking away from them, in their slips, in dry docks, bank parking lots. Everywhere. He sounded almost bewildered while he was talking about it. He says it is most big powerboats, but sailboats also.

I bet a fella armed with a trailer, and ten grand could steal a $40,000 sailboat if he looked around a few days.

I think as time marches on, it will get worse and worse for people with these big boats. Who can afford them? Big cities charge big fees to babysit these boats.

That is why I love a big trailer sailor, you can park it on a trailer, and tow it anywhere. Without permits.

Gary

Back to top Go down
Mark Catalina 27 AZ
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: OK, you've seen the outside pics...now for something completely different   Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:54 pm

I was completely blown away by how nice this 1988 Catalina 27 is. It's a beauty on the outsie and twice the boat on the inside. I've owned 15 boats, 4 of them sailboats, been aboat quite a few and have never LOVED the layout, room, upkeep, wood, flooring, etc., like this one.

Raced back into town to upload and print pics, then off to the credit union...who said they'd get back to me tonight. 10 minutes 'til 7 on a Friday night. Ha!

Will have to wait nervously over the weekend hoping someone else does not buy her before me. The wife still said no boat til I sell my other one...I'm trying dear! She does not believe me much as I currently have 2 trucks and 1 boat--supposed to have sold the company truck to my biz partner who moves slower on any deal or decision than anyone I've ever know--so hoping he buys it. If he buys it and I sell the CM26 I'll just immediately pay off the Catalina loan...its at 2.75% with no prepayment so I'm not worried--except that I want this boat now. Will have to talk with wifey on putting a contingency down payment to hold her over the weekend. Tom does not think the seller will accept my $12k or $13k offer; we'll see!

My wife knows me all too well! I've before had three RV trailers, at other times, 2 dirt bikes, one big cruiser motorcycle, a fishing boat and an RV trailer.

See the pics below. I should have shot video but it did not occur to me.

[img]http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/17/17/47/31/[url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=46&u=17174731]catali12.jpg[/img][/url][img]http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/17/17/47/31/catal[url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=48&u=17174731]i14.jpg[/img][/url][img]http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/17/17/47/31/cata[url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=50&u=17174731]li16.jpg[/img][/url]

Mark Cat27 AZ Cool

_/)
Back to top Go down
Everett CM32
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Mark any news on the Catalina?   Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:06 am

Sweet!! She does look nice Mark, really hope you get her.

I am fine looking at pictures. Videos cut into my bandwidth so I don't often watch them.

Now what about this truck you are selling? We are going to kill the better part of today looking at trucks instead of getting Seaweed ready for sailing. Errrr!!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mark any news on the Catalina?   

Back to top Go down

Mark any news on the Catalina?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1