~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~
Please join our forum. Ads go away for members!

Please join our forum. Ads go away for members!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Worlds Finest Trailerable Vintage Cruising Sailboats Designed By Renowned W.I.B. Crealock N.A.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Google Map Of CM's  clipper-sailor.net  Main Page  
Latest topics
» Bimini Top
Help with the mystery hole.  Emptyby sac4440 Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:00 pm

» Cruising
Help with the mystery hole.  Emptyby Triticum Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:10 pm

» CM32 trailer setup
Help with the mystery hole.  Emptyby martinc2 Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:02 pm

» Rudder replacement
Help with the mystery hole.  Emptyby Triticum Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:53 pm

» Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?
Help with the mystery hole.  Emptyby Triticum Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:15 pm

» Looking for Traveler Track for my '71 CM21
Help with the mystery hole.  Emptyby Tim Mueller Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 pm

» Need Rigging for CM30, any thoughts on where to find it?
Help with the mystery hole.  Emptyby JeffLee Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:04 pm

» Added Clipper Marine To Groups On Facebook
Help with the mystery hole.  Emptyby tundrabunny Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:28 pm

» New guy lurking about for pics
Help with the mystery hole.  Emptyby JeffLee Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:28 am

» Parting out Clipper Marine 21/ Free project boat in Michigan
Help with the mystery hole.  Emptyby Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:04 am

» Mast repair
Help with the mystery hole.  Emptyby Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:49 am

» Nice CM-30 for Sale in New York
Help with the mystery hole.  Emptyby Gary Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:48 am

» CM26 Specs
Help with the mystery hole.  Emptyby Rick26h Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:35 am

» New Member - Rockport Tx
Help with the mystery hole.  Emptyby FreeReign Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:21 pm

» Discovery! Clipper Marine 9.3
Help with the mystery hole.  Emptyby zdm40 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:18 pm

» Keel bolt replacement,
Help with the mystery hole.  Emptyby martinc2 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:14 pm

» CM21 swing keel lifting system hardware
Help with the mystery hole.  Emptyby JeffLee Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:20 am

» New member from Northern California
Help with the mystery hole.  Emptyby JeffLee Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:25 pm

» CM 21 Upgrades
Help with the mystery hole.  Emptyby JeffLee Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:30 am

» New boat! CM32 aft cockpit sloop
Help with the mystery hole.  Emptyby Gary Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:59 pm

Keywords

Help with the mystery hole.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sailboat : Clipper Marine 26
Male Join date : 2012-05-24
Job/hobbies : Electronics Engineer

Help with the mystery hole.  Empty
PostSubject: Help with the mystery hole.    Help with the mystery hole.  EmptyThu May 24, 2012 10:48 am

Hi,

I am a proud new owner of a Clipper Marine 26 MKII (1975 edition) and a rookie sailor I might add. Please bear with me as I try to ask a few questions...

I have a 4" hole on the starboard side of my cockpit that goes into the cabin. I was wondering what use to populate that space? I have a small bulkhead compass right under that hole. You can see it in the second picture below.

Also is this an easy repair (see the two pictures below)? Its a crack in the cup holder that is located in the cockpit area. Its leaking water inside the aft birthing area when it rains and I need to repair it.
Help with the mystery hole.  IMG_3835

Here is another look
Help with the mystery hole.  IMG_3841

Then I wonder if this is also an easy repair? This is the small trim that contains a bumper material. I want to remove the awful mess the PO made with excessive silicone. Will this metal and plastic combination just pop out and can I find replacement parts?
Help with the mystery hole.  IMG_3845

And finally here is a photo of my new trailer sailor
Help with the mystery hole.  1976-Clipper-marine-26
Back to top Go down
http://www.theabrainfamily.com
Gary
Admin
Gary

Sailboat : Pair CM 32's Aft Cabin Ketch & Aft Cockpit
Male Birthday : 1956-10-17
Job/hobbies : Artist

PostSubject: Re: Help with the mystery hole.    Help with the mystery hole.  EmptyThu May 24, 2012 12:46 pm

The 4" hole could have had a depth finder or wind direction gauge. Hard to say for sure, this was something added after the factory. No doubt someone stole it while it was sitting stored somewhere. Owners usually do not leave gaping open holes where an instrument used to be. Look over the Internet to see what instrument you would like to see there, and put something in that space.

That cubby hole has been the topic of discussion over the years. To my knowledge, no definitive answer has ever come forward. Some people say wench handle, others say beverages, or a place to toss your keys.

The exact reason for this space, seems to be a mystery. Should be an easy fix with a little fiberglass and resin.

Welcome to the CM forum! Glad you found us.

The yellow stripe along with sail cover makes your yacht look very distinguished and sets it apart from other sailboats. Congratulations on your find!
Back to top Go down
https://clippermarine.forumotion.com
Everett CM32
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Everett CM32

Sailboat : CM32 Aft Cockpit
Male Join date : 2011-12-28
Job/hobbies : Nuclear Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Help with the mystery hole.    Help with the mystery hole.  EmptyThu May 24, 2012 2:23 pm

Welcome Floody, nice looking boat you have!! Cool

As for the hole Gary is on track w/ the instrument idea. 4" is a popular size. May have been a Knot meter? Our 32 has one though it is on the Port side.

Here is a pic of the Starboard side. We have a backing plate in aprox the same location as your mystery hole. It supports a Lazy Susan which has an old Loran and an depth finder mounted on it. If removed it would only leave the bolt holes though.

Help with the mystery hole.  IMG_20120524_135743

The vinyl insert in the trim should come out fairly easily. Need to pry a corner loose then pinch and pull. The alum track is typically riveted on. Besides serving as a rub rail this trim usually covers the seam where top sides are attatched to the hull.

As for the well by the companionway, it should be an easy fix w/ a bit of epoxy. If the area is weak you could use some glass mat. I saw where one owner even capped it permanantly w/ fiberglass. May have been Blaine on that other board.

All the best, Ev.
Back to top Go down
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Help with the mystery hole.    Help with the mystery hole.  EmptyThu May 24, 2012 2:34 pm

Yea I looked around a bit on-line and I am beginning to think that it is either one of two things. A depth finder gauge because in the forward birth area I found a transducer setting in a void, This might be for the missing depth finder but I already have one installed aft in the cockpit. Problem is, its not working at the moment so I remain perplexed. I also noted a knot speed sensor under a plank in the forward v birth as well that can be seen penetrating the hull. It looks like a flapper wheel on the exterior so it may be that the 4" hole was to be a knot speed gauge. The mystery continues. I suppose for now Ill just fill it in with a 4" plastic deck cover to keep things dry.

About removing the aluminum track and vinyl trim. After I remove the old stuff (the boat came with new trim) and scrape all the silicone out is it necessary to re apply silicone in this area?

I ask this because it appears to be the "line of stitching" if you will, that the deck and hull are coupled together.
Back to top Go down
Everett CM32
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Everett CM32

Sailboat : CM32 Aft Cockpit
Male Join date : 2011-12-28
Job/hobbies : Nuclear Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Help with the mystery hole.    Help with the mystery hole.  EmptyFri May 25, 2012 8:40 pm

If you choose to seal the edges of the new trim I would suggest not using standard silicone. Apparently silicone impregnates the gel coat. Not only making removal a pain but making painting or future glass work difficult. Not an expert here but have read enough to be convinced of this. I can attest to it being hard to remove.

When I re-bed deck hardware on Gone I am going w/ 3M 4200 for most of it. Also saw another product that sounded good for bedding fittings but can't think of the name. Have the link saved someplace.
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin
Gary

PostSubject: Re: Help with the mystery hole.    Help with the mystery hole.  EmptyFri May 25, 2012 9:02 pm

4200 is the way to go. 5200 sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Help with the mystery hole.    Help with the mystery hole.  EmptyFri May 25, 2012 11:09 pm

Awesome this is great to know. Thank you all.

I almost bought a cover plate that would have required me to drill yet more holes in the bulkhead then directions insisted that I apply a fair amount of silicone. I dont want to scare "her" up anymore. Some reason I am getting attached to my sailboat. I think I will place a big 4" compass in the void and she might return the favor some day.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Help with the mystery hole.    Help with the mystery hole.  EmptySat May 26, 2012 1:26 am

I agree with Everette and Gary. Silicone is not made to be out in the elements. It is for indoor use.

3M 4200 or 5200 are the only products I would use. Both of course are adhesive/sealants but 5200 is permanent and 4200 is semi-permanent.
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin
Gary

PostSubject: Re: Help with the mystery hole.    Help with the mystery hole.  EmptySat May 26, 2012 10:34 am

Silicone cannot be removed from glass. It gets into the pores or spaces between molocules and that is that. It is not guaranteed not to fail, only guaranteed not to be able to not completely be able to remove it.

For aquariums, it is almost a perfect seal. The silicone is stronger than the glass itself.

A Fiberglas boat is a glass product mixed with other things. Not the ideal Place to use the ideal sealer used on 100% glass.

The only way to 100% remove silicone from glass is grind it off, removing a layer of glass in the process.

One thing I said is technically not True. There are not molocules in a sheet of glass, Like a window. Any window you look out of, regardless of size, is always one molocule.

Glass is also a liquid and is not a solid. Measure old school house windows. They are always much thicker at the bottoms.
Back to top Go down
Triticum
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Triticum

Male Join date : 2012-10-27
Job/hobbies : IT

PostSubject: Re: Help with the mystery hole.    Help with the mystery hole.  EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 12:27 am

[img]https://clippermarine.forumotion.com/Help with the mystery hole.  Trit_111[/img]

I have no clue if this compas mount is original. Most of the ship is in beautiful shape though I notice a couple of things that I am thinking are not stock. The '74 9.9 has a beautifully modified water flow tail tail that is recommended to match the change made starting with the '77 model. There is a fiberglass collar that extendes above the hole the keel cable comes through.

Last edited by Triticum on Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : where did the picture go?)
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin
Gary

PostSubject: Re: Help with the mystery hole.    Help with the mystery hole.  EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 7:16 pm

That compass mount is not original, but the idea to convert the mystery hole is original. Looks like it would work well.

The space may have been originally made to hold winch handles.

Welcome to our forum! You are just a bit early, the 100th member wins a corvette. (Hotwheels)
Back to top Go down
Triticum
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Triticum

Male Join date : 2012-10-27
Job/hobbies : IT

PostSubject: Re: Help with the mystery hole.    Help with the mystery hole.  EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 12:12 am

I was guessing it might not be original. I'd buy the idea of putting the winch handle in there but it's too short. I'd have made the space longer and narrower if I wanted the winch handle in it. That would be quite helpful actually. On those days you need the handle, the ship is tipping!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with the mystery hole.    Help with the mystery hole.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Help with the mystery hole.
Page 1 of 1