~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~
Please join our forum. Ads go away for members!

~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~

The Worlds Finest Trailerable Vintage Cruising Sailboats Designed By Renowned W.I.B. Crealock N.A.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Google Map Of CM's  clipper-sailor.net  Main Page  
Latest topics
» Cruising
by Triticum Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:10 pm

» CM32 trailer setup
by martinc2 Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:02 pm

» Rudder replacement
by Triticum Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:53 pm

» Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?
by Triticum Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:15 pm

» Looking for Traveler Track for my '71 CM21
by Tim Mueller Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 pm

» Need Rigging for CM30, any thoughts on where to find it?
by JeffLee Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:04 pm

» Added Clipper Marine To Groups On Facebook
by tundrabunny Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:28 pm

» New guy lurking about for pics
by JeffLee Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:28 am

» Parting out Clipper Marine 21/ Free project boat in Michigan
by Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:04 am

» Mast repair
by Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:49 am

» Nice CM-30 for Sale in New York
by Gary Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:48 am

» CM26 Specs
by Rick26h Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:35 am

» New Member - Rockport Tx
by FreeReign Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:21 pm

» Discovery! Clipper Marine 9.3
by zdm40 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:18 pm

» Keel bolt replacement,
by martinc2 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:14 pm

» CM21 swing keel lifting system hardware
by JeffLee Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:20 am

» New member from Northern California
by JeffLee Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:25 pm

» CM 21 Upgrades
by JeffLee Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:30 am

» New boat! CM32 aft cockpit sloop
by Gary Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:59 pm

» CM21 project boat almost giveaway
by kimgwinn Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:00 pm

Keywords
Cm26 locking numbers Trailer swing follow number rudder identification keel cm30 fixed restoration cm32 serial hull mast outboard sale mainsheet winch speed location wind motor sails

Share | 

Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sailboat : Clipper Marine 26
Male Join date : 2012-05-24
Job/hobbies : Electronics Engineer

PostSubject: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:31 am

Went sailing on the 4th and intended on sailing for a week but things dd not work out so well. Ill spare you the details and just head towards the issue...

...While sailing I went into the cabin and noticed water seeping in on the floor. I got on my belly and laid there for a bit. I noted that there was substantial flexing on the keel housing (forward where the keel hangs on the bolt) when my wife sailed over waves. I also noted that the keel was making a boom sound as we went over these waves. I raised and lowered the keel at times to try to relieve the boom sounds. But no luck!

This flexing and bulging was happening right at where the deck meets the keel housing in the curved area. The flex was bad and I could see the repair made by the PO was failing. Long story short the repair is not holding up and I want to know if this is a issue with Clippers? Can this be fixed correctly and if so how can I do it. Should I grind out the repair and see how bad it is? What do you all recommend. Also do swing keels naturally bang around inside the keel housing in moderate conditions?

Pictures will be posted as soon as I can retrieve my camera from the boat.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theabrainfamily.com
Gary
Admin

Sailboat : Pair CM 32's Aft Cabin Ketch & Aft Cockpit
Male Birthday : 1956-10-17
Job/hobbies : Artist

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:49 am

If the keel is allowed to crash land in the extended position, (broken cable as an example) it can hyper extend and do damage to the fiberglass as it goes beyond the limits of design travel. These keels are quite heavy, and it can do a major bit of damage. Only way to tell, is dig in there, and have a look see.

If she sails, and only takes on a bit of water that can be bailed, you could leave it go, till a fall/ winter project.

In one of the threads here, is posted a link to a blog where an owner totally redid his keel. Looked like a lot of work.

Me, personally, I do not miss a swing keel. The fixed keel designs also have limitations. No one boat design is perfect.

Good Luck!

~~~~~ClipperMarine.Org~~~~~Clipper-Sailor.net~~~~~
Gary

Back to top Go down
http://clippermarine.forumotion.com
Kelly CM26
Posting Member

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:55 pm

Damn, If it ain't one thing it's another. These boats came with a lock down bolt in front of the keel pivot. Many have been glassed over. Swing keels have an issue with crushing the front of the trunk housing. Often after running aground, when you float off the keel drops hard and slams into the front. Or worse, the cable breaks while you have it raised. This is quite apparent from under the boat. There should be no banging while sailing, if you keep some tension on the cable to keep the keel from swinging. The flexing scares me a lot. The keel trunk should be rock solid. Could you see if the flex was at the keel pivot bolt? If you decide to sail, I'd call your insurance agent and raise the coverage. (and keep you PFD's close).
Back to top Go down
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:43 pm

Guys I am sorry but the damage is inside the cabin. Take a look.

Inside the galley next to keel trunk - where the water seeps in and the flexing occurred.

This is aft and does not leak but shows the repair stretching the entire trunk.

A close look

You think I can repair this? If its repairable then I am going to totally restore the entire boat or buy a new one.

Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:04 am

Two issues, what caused the damage, and how do I (you) prevent this from happening again?

How to properly repair it.

The two issues seem straight forward enough.

Do you want a several weekend boat project? Fiberglass is not the most fun stuff to work with in a small crampt area.

If it were me, I would repair it myself. Materials I would guess at not very much. The labor invested will be the big issue.

Is this the boat you are comfortable with right now?

I could have repaired wondering Wallace, and been pretty happy with her. My wife loved that boat. Her extra heavy keel makes for a stable boat in the water. But I did not jive with WW. In fact, I rather dislike that boat. Who knows why.

In a weeks time, I purchased a second CM32, and I love this one.

If you love the boat, she is repairable.

Gary

Back to top Go down
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:01 am

Thanks Gary for the kind words.

The damage was made but its a mystery to me as well.

Honestly I am pissed that I cant sail but I want to be safe at least for my family's sake. Perhaps there was a reason my son was cranky the entire time. All the trips so far makes him very happy. I am heavily considering fixing it up, but my wife and I want to sail around the world so this was to be our practice boat. We have grown to love it. Dam being a captain of a boat you have heavy decisions.

My website
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:15 am

I no doubt will part out wondering wildebeest. (have fun coming up with a similar but different name each time. )

Not because she is not repairable or in fact usable as she is, but because I want to steal so many parts off of her.

I may try to find a park that would take her as a child's park play house. A child could play for hours on a beached 32 foot long boat.

Whatever happens to our old boats, happens. 40 years is a long time.

Your repair if you decide to repair, could go basic, as factory or better than factory depending on what you want to put into her.

Gary

Back to top Go down
Kelly CM26
Posting Member

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:40 am

First, I have no fiberglassing experience, but it looks very straight forward to me. I have some keel crush, but take no water so I'm waiting till fall. If you're taking water you also have a crack under the boat to deal with. I'd take it to a fiberglass repair place, and have them look at it, and then take it home and do it myself. The guys who cronicle their repairs are a little hung up on being perfect. At my age "done" is the most important part of the job. I'd slap a fix on it and tell it you'll do better in the winter. Good luck
Back to top Go down
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:18 am

I am going to repair it using fiberglass and resin. Wish me luck because I never laid fiberglass before.

My website
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:15 pm

Lots of good advice on You Tube about working with fiberglas on boats.

How we got along before the Internet, is beyond me.

I would think you are roing to R&R your keel. Be careful with that heavy chunck of iron.

Gary

Back to top Go down
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:36 pm

So from what I have seen these boats are fiberglass with wood layered together like a ice cream sandwich. Is this true with the hull as well?

Also I cant wrap my head around this issue. I mean how can the water leek inside my boat if I cant see any damage outside the hull, damage looks like its inside only.

Any ideas on how the deck / keel trunk gets damaged without running aground? Where is the water coming from theory's?

My website
Back to top Go down
Kelly CM26
Posting Member

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:31 pm

I'm out of my expertise here, but these boats have a" false bilge" that is just a hollow tunnel that runs from in front of the mast by the V berth back behind the keel trunk in front of the real bilge. I'm not sure of the width. That gives you a much greater area to search for your external crack. Are you sure the pivot bolt wasn't leaking? The flexing caused your damage. A 500 lb keel 4 feet down is going to have a huge force holding a 2000 lb boat. I have two of these CM26's. How is a long sory. The one I'm sailing is a 1978 made in Mexico. The keel trunk is rock solid. The one I'm working on (when I'm not sailing) is a 1976, I assume is made here. I checked yesterday and the PO has done the world's worst fiberglass repair on the trunk under the pivot bolt. I suspect they had a similar problem to yours.. They cut into the false bilge back by the real bilge, to drain water I think. When your keel trunk flexes the logical stress would be where the trunk meets the sole, deck, floor. Would be up a few inches inside the keel trunk.
Back to top Go down
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:24 am

Kelly

You bring up some fantastic points and now, I have begun second guessing what I think really happened.

Your question : I went under the boat and noticed some damage in the keel trunk, ill pop a pic up tomorrow
Your other questions correct, the trunk will flex

I clearly recall the radius area where the deck and keel trunk meet and at that troth the fiberglass was flexing in and out as the keel laid out a faint thump as we traversed over ski-boat wake. Its a uncomfortable sort of a manor to be with.

Now the keel bolt could have leaked, in fact I found out on this trip that the keel cable feed through needs to be greased, or as I noticed water pissing in faster than my boy can do.

My website
Back to top Go down
Kelly CM26
Posting Member

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:07 pm

I would assume this is the fiberglass equilvalent of metal fatique. I wouldn't worry about the pivot bolt or the cable leaks. They have cures and are not what is keeping you off the water. You should concentrate on your new career as a fiberglass installation journeyman. Your kid can bail while you sail.
Back to top Go down
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:14 pm

I am still waiting for the rains to die down so I can make the needed repairs. I hope the end of this week. I am itching to sail again before winter gets here.

My website
Back to top Go down
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:39 pm

Okay here goes:

So I have been looking over this damage and I think I can repair it. I say that with a tinge of nervousness, but what do I have to lose. This is our learning yacht and well repairing damage needs to be learnt!

I dug in with respect. I wire wheeled as much of the damage as my lungs could handle tonight. I will get a better mask by the way.

There appears to be a inner hull and a outer hull on this boat. I ground the inner keel trunk and deck and in minutes it opened up allowing water to pour into the cabin (keep in mind its in my driveway).

Can I just pour resin in the crack till there is no longer a void?

This is odd – where is the water coming from? I assume its from an improper hole covering (the hole that the keel “stay” bolt use to go in to) but that’s a wild ass guess. I know the bolt hole is glassed over.

So is the repairable by a man who fix anything? I will take all the advice and links that you got.

I wait for guidance.

Back to top Go down
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:43 pm

Forgot to ask

How the hell could this damage happen? Inside the boat? Hum... Perhaps an open hatch or something very big hit the deck?

My website
Back to top Go down
frelichth
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sailboat : Clipper
Male Birthday : 1959-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:05 pm

Here's a theory of how the damage could have occured. It looks like a lot of force would have to been applied to the keel from the side. Lets assume the boat was in a sideways attitude to a lee shore with a fair amount of chop. The keel could be forced sideways under great pressure when the keel hit the shallows. This would inflict the sort of damage seen here. Just a scenario, nothing more.

As for the repair, don't even think about just using fillers to do it. You need to feather the damage and rebuild the area using resin and glass, building the structure up back to it's original thickness and strength. This will take multiple layers of laminate and proper preparation of the surface to assure adhesion of the repair. There are many articles on hull repair online and several good books on the subject. Over build if necessary as this will keep the wife from beating you over the head with heavy objects as the boat sinks.
Back to top Go down
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:20 pm

Three points I want to converge on.

1. Your model of the damage is spot on! Impressive, as I have ran many mental sorties with nothing resulting in this type of damage.

2. Any idea about the false bilge under this area? Is the water inside this void going to cause issues down the road? I assume it has to.

3. My wife would never let me live it down.

Now I must Google fiberglass boat repair, etc wonder if I can learn all this by Friday and sail in 2 weekends. Sounds better don't it? "2 weekends" vs "2 weeks". Oh well.

My website
Back to top Go down
frelichth
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sailboat : Clipper
Male Birthday : 1959-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:29 pm

On point one, thank you. On point two, I have looked into this problem and have heard of everything from foaming in the area to filling it with epoxy. I am currently looking into the possibility of draining the false bilge water into the rear bilge area through a thimble at the rear of the area at the bilge and adding a small ball scupper to prevent the incursion of additional water from the bilge into the false bilge. I'll let you know how that works out. On point three, according to my wife "there be monsters" and I'll be sinking all by myself if it ever happens.
Back to top Go down
Everett CM32
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sailboat : CM32 Aft Cockpit
Male Join date : 2011-12-28
Job/hobbies : Nuclear Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:02 am

Floody, in the morning (when it gets light out), I will check the name of the company I have bought fiberglass tape from. WAY cheaper than West Marine and you can order the widths you want (for varying the width of layers), and they cut whatever lengths you want. Advantage of the "tape" is that the edges are finished like a seam for strength, ease of handling, and keeps from having fibers sticking up that need to be sanded down.

I also bought epoxy and harder from them for about half the cost of the West System products at West Marine. However for your first time purchase/use I highly recommend buying the West System products. It simplifies things purchasing off the shelf and there should be someone on hand to help you through it. Also may want to spend the 20 bucks for the DVD. If I had mine here I would send it to you.

Grab some 406 Colloidal Silica at the same time for thickening. Also no need to buy a stack of mixing cups. Once the excess cures it will peel right out.

Don't forget gloves, glasses, and respirator.

Don't forget gloves, glasses, and respirator.

Best of luck on your repairs.

1977 CM32 Sloop "J.F. Gone" Currently in re-fit, splashing 2013
1972 South Coast Seacraft 26 S/V "Seaweed" on the hook in Key Largo pirat
Back to top Go down
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:39 am

Ha,

Thanks Everett I need a kick in the ass to get this going. I keep reading and keep waiting as if its going to repair it self.

What type of respirator is needed?

I am going to get to work on this tomorrow so know ill have questions.

My website
Back to top Go down
Everett CM32
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:38 am

The respirator I have now is an AOSafety brand model R5700. Before that I had a 3M model. They have two screw on filters and you can switch between particle and chemical. Usually in the $30 to $40 range. Available at pretty much any building centers and auto supply houses.

Definitely use them for sanding, grinding and not those paper dust masks.

I have seen plenty of people doing the actual glass work w/out protection. Might be completely safe. Personally I figure the fewer chemicals I ingest by way of inhalation and absorption the better. Your choice but if we ever meet I hope you don't have that permadaze look. Wink

The company I order materials from is US Composites. http://www.uscomposites.com/

All the best, Ev.

Back to top Go down
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:57 pm

I have cut away a substantial amount of deck and noted that the wood under the glass is wet.

How far do I take this? Can I just let the wood dry out and begin my repair? I think I had keel crush at one point but cant tell if this is where the water came from.

Currently I have cut out about 4" of deck and still can feel the wood underneath as wet. Is wet wood bad or rotted wood and what is the difference?

My website
Back to top Go down
Everett CM32
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:03 pm

Wet wood is just wet. Heat lamps and a small fan will speed drying. Not too close of coarse w/ the lamps. May take awhile and require some drilled holes to let the moisture dissipate.

Rotted wood, probably need to replace. If it's not tooooo bad, ie minor flaking/separation of fibers may be OK just to inject epoxy after completely drying it out. Haven't injected myself so no expert here but may soon have to under one of our stanchions on Gone.

Sorry to here it's worse than you originally thought. Nothing that can't be handled but it sucks to lose the sailing time. Positive side is you learn some new skills (whether you want to or not), and the sailing will be even sweeter afterward.

Welcome to the wonderful world of older boats. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    

Back to top Go down

Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next