~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~
Please join our forum. Ads go away for members!

Please join our forum. Ads go away for members!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Worlds Finest Trailerable Vintage Cruising Sailboats Designed By Renowned W.I.B. Crealock N.A.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Google Map Of CM's  clipper-sailor.net  Main Page  
Latest topics
» Bimini Top
sail etc. Emptyby sac4440 Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:00 pm

» Cruising
sail etc. Emptyby Triticum Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:10 pm

» CM32 trailer setup
sail etc. Emptyby martinc2 Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:02 pm

» Rudder replacement
sail etc. Emptyby Triticum Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:53 pm

» Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?
sail etc. Emptyby Triticum Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:15 pm

» Looking for Traveler Track for my '71 CM21
sail etc. Emptyby Tim Mueller Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 pm

» Need Rigging for CM30, any thoughts on where to find it?
sail etc. Emptyby JeffLee Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:04 pm

» Added Clipper Marine To Groups On Facebook
sail etc. Emptyby tundrabunny Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:28 pm

» New guy lurking about for pics
sail etc. Emptyby JeffLee Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:28 am

» Parting out Clipper Marine 21/ Free project boat in Michigan
sail etc. Emptyby Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:04 am

» Mast repair
sail etc. Emptyby Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:49 am

» Nice CM-30 for Sale in New York
sail etc. Emptyby Gary Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:48 am

» CM26 Specs
sail etc. Emptyby Rick26h Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:35 am

» New Member - Rockport Tx
sail etc. Emptyby FreeReign Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:21 pm

» Discovery! Clipper Marine 9.3
sail etc. Emptyby zdm40 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:18 pm

» Keel bolt replacement,
sail etc. Emptyby martinc2 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:14 pm

» CM21 swing keel lifting system hardware
sail etc. Emptyby JeffLee Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:20 am

» New member from Northern California
sail etc. Emptyby JeffLee Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:25 pm

» CM 21 Upgrades
sail etc. Emptyby JeffLee Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:30 am

» New boat! CM32 aft cockpit sloop
sail etc. Emptyby Gary Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:59 pm

Keywords

sail etc.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
irishguy
Posting Member

Sailboat : 26' Clipper

sail etc. Empty
PostSubject: sail etc.   sail etc. EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 6:22 pm

i have a few ?'s, i raised my sails for the first time (in the backyard) and was wandering, the gooseneck was sitting down below the wide insert in mast and the top of the sail was about 6" to a foot below the top of the mast, it seemed right and tight, but the boom seemed to be at a downward angle to the cockpit, is this normal? also there is one stay type wire on the back of the mast top that only comes down about 3' short of the boom, i thought is was a stabilizer that i have read about to attach to the boom when not sailing? one more thing for now, i have seen in some video's that u can sail with the pop top up, is there a trick to this? thanks again for any info
Back to top Go down
Diggs
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Diggs

Sailboat : CM 26
Male Join date : 2012-08-09

sail etc. Empty
PostSubject: Re: sail etc.   sail etc. EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 11:43 pm

The gooseneck should sit in the slide ABOVE the wide opening and your sail should raise all the way to the top of the mast.

It sounds like you are describing a topping lift for your boom and you are correct, it is to hold the boom up when you are not sailing.

There is no trick to sailing with the top up. I do it almost every time I sail. It makes anyone who is inside, feel like they are outside sailing with us.
Back to top Go down
irishguy
Posting Member

sail etc. Empty
PostSubject: Re: sail etc.   sail etc. EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 11:37 am

so all the time the boom should be up high enough to raise the pop top? another while i;m on sails, the jib that i have, i don't think is the correct one, raises to about 2 to 3' short of the top of the mast, they put on a short length of cable to make up the difference and when pulled tight at the foot(?) it is about 6 to 8" past the mast, i don't see this being a problem but then again i am at this point as green as a greenhorn gets., any thoughts on problems i might encounter would be great. one more, are topping lifts usually attached to the back stay or are they a separate line like i have, thanks again
Back to top Go down
Diggs
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Diggs

Sailboat : CM 26
Male Join date : 2012-08-09

sail etc. Empty
PostSubject: Re: sail etc.   sail etc. EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 1:54 pm

No problems with your current jib, I have a standard 100% jib and mine has the same length top to bottom. I do not have a line at the bottom to take the sail to the top. Most folks did that so they could see better but it shouldn't effect performance much either way. Your sail sail comes back just past the mast sounds like a 110% jib.

The boom should clear the pop top.

Some topping lifts attach to the backstay and are called pig tails. Mine came with that option when I bought it but I was not a fan as it is not adjustable and in strong, shifty winds I found it difficult when raising the main.
I installed a topping lift that attaches to the top of my mast that allows me to adjust the height and also allows me to swing it out when raising my main so it won't catch the wind and heel the boat over in a gust while I am up front.
Back to top Go down
irishguy
Posting Member

sail etc. Empty
PostSubject: Re: sail etc.   sail etc. EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 10:49 am

ok , thanks a lot, i am hoping to maybe take her out next week and see if she likes her new owner! will keep u all posted and hopefully can get some pics going
Back to top Go down
Kelly CM26
Posting Member

sail etc. Empty
PostSubject: Re: sail etc.   sail etc. EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 5:56 am

I have two CM 26s. I bought the second to get the trailor. I have three main sails. The boat I'm sailing has a main with a long foot that comes within 5 inches of the length of the boom. So the outhaul does little to nothing. I have a fixed topping lift from the mast to the end of the boom, a few inches shorter than the sail leech, so when the sail is hoisted the topping lift becomes slack and hangs loose behind the sail. I also have a pigtail that I clip on to the boom after the sail is dropped, it prevents the boom from swinging.

My other two sails were crisper and had CM 26 in huge letters so I wanted to try one. First the foot was shorter, but that might be good for the outhaul. On hoisting I found the leech was a lot longer and the topping lift had to be unhooked. The luff also was longer, at full hoist I couldn't get the sail tight,and the boom angled down to the cockpit as your's did. I tried lowering the boom below the gate but then you could not open the poptop, but more troubling was the height of the boom over the cockpit. My old sail kept the boom high enough that if someone remained sitting they were safe from swinging booms. This new one conked me and my crew.

I had 6 folks coming out for a sail, so I put the first sail back on to prevent cracked skulls and potential lawsuits . The only solution I saw was having the sail shortened. Why isn't that gate lower on the mast?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

sail etc. Empty
PostSubject: Re: sail etc.   sail etc. Empty

Back to top Go down

sail etc.
Page 1 of 1