~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~
Please join our forum. Ads go away for members!

~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~

The Worlds Finest Trailerable Vintage Cruising Sailboats Designed By Renowned W.I.B. Crealock N.A.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Google Map Of CM's  clipper-sailor.net  Main Page  
Latest topics
» Cruising
by Triticum Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:10 pm

» CM32 trailer setup
by martinc2 Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:02 pm

» Rudder replacement
by Triticum Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:53 pm

» Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?
by Triticum Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:15 pm

» Looking for Traveler Track for my '71 CM21
by Tim Mueller Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 pm

» Need Rigging for CM30, any thoughts on where to find it?
by JeffLee Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:04 pm

» Added Clipper Marine To Groups On Facebook
by tundrabunny Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:28 pm

» New guy lurking about for pics
by JeffLee Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:28 am

» Parting out Clipper Marine 21/ Free project boat in Michigan
by Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:04 am

» Mast repair
by Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:49 am

» Nice CM-30 for Sale in New York
by Gary Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:48 am

» CM26 Specs
by Rick26h Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:35 am

» New Member - Rockport Tx
by FreeReign Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:21 pm

» Discovery! Clipper Marine 9.3
by zdm40 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:18 pm

» Keel bolt replacement,
by martinc2 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:14 pm

» CM21 swing keel lifting system hardware
by JeffLee Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:20 am

» New member from Northern California
by JeffLee Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:25 pm

» CM 21 Upgrades
by JeffLee Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:30 am

» New boat! CM32 aft cockpit sloop
by Gary Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:59 pm

» CM21 project boat almost giveaway
by kimgwinn Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:00 pm

Keywords

Share | 

Trip Report

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Everett CM32
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sailboat : CM32 Aft Cockpit
Male Join date : 2011-12-28
Job/hobbies : Nuclear Nomad

PostSubject: Trip Report   Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:25 pm

Tuesday 12-11 April and I set out to move our Seagrass from Bay side to Ocean side here in Key Largo. We decided to head south to Snake Creek and pass through the bascule bridge to reach the Atlantic then head back north. An anchorage off Islamorada, close to an excellent bar restaurant called Lor-el-ei was our destination for the night. Leaving there by 0900 Wed would have us arrive back home in Key Largo just before mid-tide rising. That was important as we needed to make it into a hole not accessible during low tide. It is not an actual anchorage, in fact it is inside the boundaries of Pennekamp State Park and is an no-motor zone and anchoring is restricted. However our boat yard has ground rights and the hole lies w/in.

After issues w/ the motor kicker and POS throttle which had us emergency anchored next to a sandbar and then a marker pole mid Chanel, we had an enjoyable motor sail. As we neared our destination for the night April told me to follow a large motor boat between a couple islands joined by a shallow bar. I resisted. She called me a puss if i didn't. What could i do but follow?! As I anticipated we ran aground. Actually just the rudder was dragging once I raised the keel and was able to spin 180 w/ the dingy and power off. Saw my first Nurse Shark in the process. Got anchored at dusk and enjoyed an excellent supper while listening to the band on the beach. Slept in the cockpit under the stars. Had a great breakfast at the Lorelei while watching the resident Manatee.

Then off to Snake Creek to request a bridge opening. Had to stand off for a few and still went under as the bridge was lifting and the light was red. Having an outboard so far off the stern is a huge detriment at times like that. Just don't have proper control easily at hand.

Into the Atlantic we went and were met by 4-6 footers right on the nose. We were pounding hard and so was the keel. Until the cable snapped w/ a horrendous crash. We were sure the keel was gone but couldn't get below for over an hour to check. April was constantly reaching back to keep the motor straight and I steering into the waves that were trying to take us broad side. Raising sail was out of the question and we wondered what we would do w/ the old girl keel-less. Conditions finally calmed enough that I made it below to find the keel intact. I re-rigged the cable and we motored a few more hours to home.

Visibility through the water in our bay was less than ideal and April suggested that she take the helm and I go to the bow to guide us. I hesitated just long enough that we ran aground. Being w/in 1/4 mile of the boat yard and expecting the tide to be rising I tossed an anchor, tossed our gear in the dingy and headed in. Checked the tide tables and sure as shit we had come in w/in minutes of dead low tide. After a bit of rest and food we went back out and were able to move her in closer. Went out at low tide this afternoon to find her resting on her rudder and bottom though not listing. Unbolted the top pintle so I could pull the rudder off. Tomorrow we will bring her in to the hole just off the yard. Also going to re-mount the pintle so the rudder can be simply un-pinned and lifted off. I don't understand why a shoal draft boat would not be built that way.

Day sailing will be much easier from here as the basin she came from required a trip through mangrove channels and then was still in limited bays. From here it is straight into the ocean, except during low tide. Laughing

Plus she is right here at home.

April steering bay side

Ocean side

Approaching Rodriguez Key as conditions settled

Seaweed on the seaweed today

~~~~~ClipperMarine.Org~~~~~Clipper-Sailor.net~~~~~
1977 CM32 Sloop "J.F. Gone" Currently in re-fit, splashing 2013
1972 South Coast Seacraft 26 S/V "Seaweed" on the hook in Key Largo pirat
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin

Sailboat : Pair CM 32's Aft Cabin Ketch & Aft Cockpit
Male Birthday : 1956-10-17
Job/hobbies : Artist

PostSubject: Re: Trip Report   Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:21 pm

What an adventure! You want this in your Blog?

~~~~~ClipperMarine.Org~~~~~Clipper-Sailor.net~~~~~
Gary

Back to top Go down
http://clippermarine.forumotion.com
Everett CM32
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sailboat : CM32 Aft Cockpit
Male Join date : 2011-12-28
Job/hobbies : Nuclear Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Trip Report   Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:13 am

Great idea Gary, thanks. Cool