~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~
Please join our forum. Ads go away for members!

~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~

The Worlds Finest Trailerable Vintage Cruising Sailboats Designed By Renowned W.I.B. Crealock N.A.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Google Map Of CM's  clipper-sailor.net  Main Page  
Latest topics
» Cruising
by Triticum Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:10 pm

» CM32 trailer setup
by martinc2 Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:02 pm

» Rudder replacement
by Triticum Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:53 pm

» Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?
by Triticum Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:15 pm

» Looking for Traveler Track for my '71 CM21
by Tim Mueller Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 pm

» Need Rigging for CM30, any thoughts on where to find it?
by JeffLee Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:04 pm

» Added Clipper Marine To Groups On Facebook
by tundrabunny Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:28 pm

» New guy lurking about for pics
by JeffLee Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:28 am

» Parting out Clipper Marine 21/ Free project boat in Michigan
by Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:04 am

» Mast repair
by Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:49 am

» Nice CM-30 for Sale in New York
by Gary Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:48 am

» CM26 Specs
by Rick26h Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:35 am

» New Member - Rockport Tx
by FreeReign Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:21 pm

» Discovery! Clipper Marine 9.3
by zdm40 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:18 pm

» Keel bolt replacement,
by martinc2 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:14 pm

» CM21 swing keel lifting system hardware
by JeffLee Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:20 am

» New member from Northern California
by JeffLee Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:25 pm

» CM 21 Upgrades
by JeffLee Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:30 am

» New boat! CM32 aft cockpit sloop
by Gary Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:59 pm

» CM21 project boat almost giveaway
by kimgwinn Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:00 pm

Keywords

Share | 

>>William Crealock, Racing, Speed & The CM32 CC Aft Cabin (Cruiser)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gary
Admin

Sailboat : Pair CM 32's Aft Cabin Ketch & Aft Cockpit
Male Birthday : 1956-10-17
Job/hobbies : Artist

PostSubject: >>William Crealock, Racing, Speed & The CM32 CC Aft Cabin (Cruiser)   Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:31 am

"In designing a racing boat the issue is decided at the finish line, usually without paying too much attention to the welfare of the crew. With a cruising boat, speed is just one of a half-dozen important aspects to be included in the mix"....W.I.B. (Bill) Crealock

In the past year and a half, of studying his work and his life, I have come to the conclusion he was deeply interested is sailboats as more than Cruisers, Cruisers - Racers. Maybe more so as Racers - Cruisers!

Today, as I redid the front page of the forum, I found numerous quotes by Crealock, that showed his mindset was racing, balanced with cruising, safety, and timeless beauty.

After a summer of seeing how quick Sugar Bee was and watching my wifes eyes light up when the wind would pick up, I began to notice, my sailboat was not just big on the lake, she was fast in light winds.

I walked past more expensive, modern sailboats, I naturally assumed, would walk away from me. One guy with a 48' mast and a longer sailboat, seeing he was going to get passed, turned off so as not to race, and sailed into a sandbar. affraid

This has me looking into just exactly what it is I purchased. I asumed it was an average speed, possibly even slow, coastal cruiser. I don't sail much in "winds", prefer to go out when it is a little calmer. Mostly because my wife is afraid of heeling. Anything over 10 degree lean, and she wants to quit.

In updating the site today, I ran across theoretical numbers I wanted to catalogue with the sailboats. I must admit, many of the numbers, were foreign to me, unknown.

Figures like Sale Area To Displacement, and Displacement to Length Ratio.

Turns out, when you crunch the numbers, head scratching is soon to follow. It begins to fall into place. Crealock secretly built the CM32 Ketch more for racing, than he did for anything else. Sure, it sleeps 6, 4 even in modest Staterooms, with a full galley and water closet, and much more, but these numbers show, he was pushing the envelope, and he knew his buyers would push the numbers even more. Crealock was building a High Performance Racing Yacht for his friends, and selling them through Clipper Marine with adverts showing the family station wagon pulling them to a quiet day on the lake.

The first chart shows my CM32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch as she came from the factory. Standard sails that have 350 square feet of surface. Look at those numbers on chart 1.

By increasing each sail, and getting the square feet to 453, the numbers light up aggressively, as seen in the second chart.

Crealock sold a Very light Racer, packaged as a Cruiser - Racer, that missed being categorized as High Performance Racer by one tiny number. Like selling a 70's 440 Charger with a restrictive air breather to get it past the DOT.

The second chart shows not only can this boat be a High Performance racer, she does it with a Motion Comfort Ratio that is quite high, and with an acceptable Blue Water Capsize Ratio below 2, on both charts.

So, not only did William Crealock, build the largest trailerable Cruising sailboat of his time, he also secretly built a scream machine to help his friends win races with that tiny little Mizzen that was never counted in the handicap numbers at race events. Increase the sails a bit, leave the 4" cushions home, and win more often than not, without anyone being the wiser.

Thank you Bill, for giving me the tools to keep my wife awake on the lake, and my neighbors never wanting to race me. I had no idea when I purchased this sailboat, I was purchasing a Racer - Cruiser. Now I do.

~~~~~ClipperMarine.Org~~~~~Clipper-Sailor.net~~~~~
Gary

Last edited by Gary on Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:25 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://clippermarine.forumotion.com
Gary
Admin

PostSubject: Re: >>William Crealock, Racing, Speed & The CM32 CC Aft Cabin (Cruiser)   Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:59 pm

More number crunching.

Running my 150 Genoa on SB, that takes the square feet of sail, from 349 to 453!
That gets the Sail Area Displacement to a number 25. No wonder I was walking away from other sailboats!

If I switch masts, move booms around, and use different sails, add a cutter sail, that would give me 738 square feet of sail. That would mean I could sail in 5 MPH winds and get max hull speed. lol
(Sale Area Displacement number for my sailboat 738 square feet of sail, is a whopping 41! Could never use that much sail, in any winds over 5mph, but it is fun crunching numbers. )

Gary

Back to top Go down
Diggs
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sailboat : CM 26
Male Join date : 2012-08-09

PostSubject: Re: >>William Crealock, Racing, Speed & The CM32 CC Aft Cabin (Cruiser)   Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:24 pm

I'm not sure if you have ever raced sailboats but I assure you that Mr. Crealock pulled no wool over anyone's eyes.

To get your rating, someone who is licensed to give ratings will come and inspect your boat and give it a rating. Not all CM 26 will have the same rating.

A ketch was designed to give a sailor more options. More sail area in light winds or less sail area (mizzen and jib, no main) in heavy winds. That is why they are so popular with cruisers, the many options make for a more comfortable ride for our wives who are not into performance sailing.

In a serious race, that mizzen would require extra crew to trim and keep it fast. Extra crew is extra weight. I know skippers who have cut crew just before a race to lose the extra weight. When you account for body weight, safety gear, food and water. Your average crew member amounts to 500lbs in an offshore race.

The CM26 on the other hand has a swing keel making it's downwind performance quite remarkable if you know how to dial her in. The flat bottom allows you to sail beyond hull speed if you know how to get her up on a plain.

Sloops with a Marconi rig are the boats built for performance in my opinion.

Just my $.02
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin

PostSubject: Re: >>William Crealock, Racing, Speed & The CM32 CC Aft Cabin (Cruiser)   Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:26 am

Good observations. I dont think Crealock was trying to get away with anything underhanded, but i do think he made some of the worlds best boat designs, under power or under sail.

My boat came from the factory with sails that made her four different sailboats. One sail plan she was a cruiser. Another, a cruiser - racer. Another sail plan, she was a racer, and another a high proformeance racer. One sailboat could win races, impress girlfriends, lul babies, and sicken mother in laws.

I used to own a Great Dane years ago. When meeting other Dane owners, my wife and i noticed they all thought their dog was taller than other Danes. Made no difference how tall the dog was, they always thought their dog was something special.

I reconize this flaw in human behaviour, but i dont think I am falling into this trap.

Why did Crealock stop at an 8' beam on a 32' sailboat? Granted it was a trailerable sailboat company, but why not 8'6"? What roads in the USA are 8' max? Not many, unless you are back east. Doubt he built his 32' lineup.to sell in Boston.

Crealock wanted to squeeze every drop of speed he could from his designs.

Look at the MacGtegor 65 and 70. Do you think Roger MacGregor built these sailboats to take his grandkids sailing ?

Crealock could sell his design all day long to the cruiser folks. There was a market for that. A stationwagon sailboat, to load up the kids, and the grandparents, and spend the day on a quiet lake. However, he did not stop there, and that reach for the gold spirit shows in his quotes, and it shows in his designs.

If Crealock would have designed Great Danes, his puppies would have grown to be the taller animals in any litter.

Gary

Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin

PostSubject: Re: >>William Crealock, Racing, Speed & The CM32 CC Aft Cabin (Cruiser)   Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:34 am

On many forums, web sites (latatude 38, cruisers form etc) CMs are critized for not being robust enough. In every circumstance I could, I challenged these web sites to correct their errors, their flat out lies about Crealock trailerable designs.

I wonder if Crealock is somewhat to blame for the lightweight criticisms , because he did build CMs to win races, not bob up and down in hurricanes.

Personally, I think his blend of trailerability, speed, creature comforts, stiyling , speed, grace, balance is perfect.

Lets look at it from the other side of the coin.

What other brand of sailboat, in the 25' to 35' class,

Sleeps 6 people in 3 separate private staterooms, all with private companionways,

Enclosed head with sink and shower,

Trailers on and off with one or two people,

Trailers easily with an ordinary full size car or small pick-up for trips around town, loading and unloading at a Marina, or goes down the highway to anywhere without special vehicles or permits,

Mast steps in the water easily with one person,

Maintains speeds in the Very High Performance category at a 25 rating,

Rated for blue water at 1.9, with a comfort rating of 23,

Full galley with electric and gas range,

Hot and cold water,

Slip fridge & AC,

Charcoal heater,

Storage for a dozen or more sails,

Endless sail plan with two masts,

Lasted the test of time, going on 4 decades,

The following is a list of competerors sailboats of that era, or even today, that have half the stuff on that list, at any price.

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

Mac? No. Hunter? No! Catalina? No!

No other sailboat that I know of, unless you break out a quarter million dollar bank roll.

Gary

Back to top Go down
Lake Michigan Sailor
Posting Member

Sailboat : jenniewren CM23 TK
Male Birthday : 1940-06-01
Job/hobbies : Machine shop owner

PostSubject: Re: >>William Crealock, Racing, Speed & The CM32 CC Aft Cabin (Cruiser)   Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:12 pm

I thinks it neat for someone to fall in love with there hobby like you have with your boat. Your wife is like mine as if the water splashes in side the cock-pit it's time to get out of the water. Her idea of a cruise is where you have to motor all the way. Starting my count down to get on the road to Havasu. Free room and board at my sister place in Havasu for one and all. Fair Winds Rich
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin

PostSubject: Re: >>William Crealock, Racing, Speed & The CM32 CC Aft Cabin (Cruiser)   Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:49 pm

You are going to have a great time!

Gary

Back to top Go down
Everett CM32
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sailboat : CM32 Aft Cockpit
Male Join date : 2011-12-28
Job/hobbies : Nuclear Nomad

PostSubject: Re: >>William Crealock, Racing, Speed & The CM32 CC Aft Cabin (Cruiser)   Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:10 am

Guess I am lucky in that April loves to bury the rail. Not sure how that's going to work on the Clipper. I just don't think the design very conducive to accomplish this. I think by the time it gets close we will be loosing steerage and round up?

As for racing, I have had many people tell me she looks like a fast boat. One neighbor here in the boat yard continually mentions the flatish bottom and wants to see if she will plane out. I always dismissed this till I read Diggs' mention it about the 26's. Understand the fixed keel will certainly not perform as his 26. Still it is encouraging to think that she won't be a pig in the water. At the least I look forward to moving out in light winds that would not move a lot of 32's. Hell, I look forward to just getting her in the water after all these years.

Rich, have a great time!! Cool

1977 CM32 Sloop "J.F. Gone" Currently in re-fit, splashing 2013
1972 South Coast Seacraft 26 S/V "Seaweed" on the hook in Key Largo pirat
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin

PostSubject: Re: >>William Crealock, Racing, Speed & The CM32 CC Aft Cabin (Cruiser)   Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:13 pm

You put a 150 Genoa (292 SF), on that sailboat, she'll plane!

Gary

Back to top Go down
Diggs
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sailboat : CM 26
Male Join date : 2012-08-09

PostSubject: Re: >>William Crealock, Racing, Speed & The CM32 CC Aft Cabin (Cruiser)   Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:23 pm

You'll need a spinnaker to get her on a plane.

Light weight, flat bottom boats do it well. Make sure you have someone who is experienced in spinnaker handling or take a class on it. There have only been few times that I have experienced sheer terror on a sailboat and most of them have been in heavy winds racing downwind with the spinnaker up.

You can usually find a class through a local yacht club or sometimes boat shows will have seminars.

Good luck and have fun!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: >>William Crealock, Racing, Speed & The CM32 CC Aft Cabin (Cruiser)   

Back to top Go down

>>William Crealock, Racing, Speed & The CM32 CC Aft Cabin (Cruiser)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1