~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~
Please join our forum. Ads go away for members!

~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~

The Worlds Finest Trailerable Vintage Cruising Sailboats Designed By Renowned W.I.B. Crealock N.A.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Google Map Of CM's  clipper-sailor.net  Main Page  
Latest topics
» Cruising
New guy introduction Emptyby Triticum Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:10 pm

» CM32 trailer setup
New guy introduction Emptyby martinc2 Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:02 pm

» Rudder replacement
New guy introduction Emptyby Triticum Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:53 pm

» Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?
New guy introduction Emptyby Triticum Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:15 pm

» Looking for Traveler Track for my '71 CM21
New guy introduction Emptyby Tim Mueller Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 pm

» Need Rigging for CM30, any thoughts on where to find it?
New guy introduction Emptyby JeffLee Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:04 pm

» Added Clipper Marine To Groups On Facebook
New guy introduction Emptyby tundrabunny Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:28 pm

» New guy lurking about for pics
New guy introduction Emptyby JeffLee Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:28 am

» Parting out Clipper Marine 21/ Free project boat in Michigan
New guy introduction Emptyby Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:04 am

» Mast repair
New guy introduction Emptyby Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:49 am

» Nice CM-30 for Sale in New York
New guy introduction Emptyby Gary Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:48 am

» CM26 Specs
New guy introduction Emptyby Rick26h Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:35 am

» New Member - Rockport Tx
New guy introduction Emptyby FreeReign Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:21 pm

» Discovery! Clipper Marine 9.3
New guy introduction Emptyby zdm40 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:18 pm

» Keel bolt replacement,
New guy introduction Emptyby martinc2 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:14 pm

» CM21 swing keel lifting system hardware
New guy introduction Emptyby JeffLee Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:20 am

» New member from Northern California
New guy introduction Emptyby JeffLee Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:25 pm

» CM 21 Upgrades
New guy introduction Emptyby JeffLee Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:30 am

» New boat! CM32 aft cockpit sloop
New guy introduction Emptyby Gary Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:59 pm

» CM21 project boat almost giveaway
New guy introduction Emptyby kimgwinn Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:00 pm

Keywords

New guy introduction

Go down 
AuthorMessage
rstackjd
Posting Member

Sailboat : 1967 Columbia 22
Male Birthday : 1959-03-26
Job/hobbies : Attorney

New guy introduction Empty
PostSubject: New guy introduction   New guy introduction EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 10:50 am

Greetings all:

Just joined this forum. New to sailing and do not own a boat yet, but a 1970 CM26 has caught my eye. Been reading the posts here and have a good idea of what to watch for - appreciate that.

If we buy a boat it will be primarily for day sailing and entertaining family and clients. Any thoughts on how many people can comfortable sail on a 1970 26? Sometimes it would just be my wife and I and maybe another couple. Other times we might want to take two couples, or maybe our kids and grandkids.

We would be sailing on lake Michigan. I think initially we would stay in the inner harbor while we learn to sail and get comfortable with the boat, but eventually we would want to wander past the seawall and into the lake proper. Does anyone have experience with these boats on Michigan or the other Great Lakes? My buddy (who is sort of a sailing snob) says that a 26' swing keel boat is too small for Lake Michigan. Then again, he sails a 30' full keel S2.

Thanks

Bob
Back to top Go down
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sailboat : Clipper Marine 26
Male Join date : 2012-05-24
Job/hobbies : Electronics Engineer

PostSubject: Re: New guy introduction   New guy introduction EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 12:27 pm

I just took a total of 3 adults and 3 kids on a day sail and it was pretty comfortable. Kids were ages 2-4 so keep that in mind.

The cockpit could fit 4 adults with ease any more and it will start to get cramped in my eyes. Tacking and what not, but for a day sail heck you could fit 6 adults without to many issues at all.

Welcome to the forums.

~~~~~ClipperMarine.Org~~~~~Clipper-Sailor.net~~~~~
My website
Back to top Go down
http://www.theabrainfamily.com
rstackjd
Posting Member

PostSubject: Re: New guy introduction   New guy introduction EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 12:50 pm

Thanks Floody - seems like a really nice group you have here.

Bob
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin
Gary

Sailboat : Pair CM 32's Aft Cabin Ketch & Aft Cockpit
Male Birthday : 1956-10-17
Job/hobbies : Artist

PostSubject: Re: New guy introduction   New guy introduction EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 2:07 pm

Welcome Bob!

Before you go sailing with kids and grandkids, figure the basics of sailing out first.

I don't own a 26, but I would think 6 adults on a 26 would really be pushing the murphy's law boundaries. I would not sail with 6 adults on my 32's, somewhat because of my experience level, and as a captain, you need to be in charge of other people. How does one skipper a boat, and take charge of that large of a group should something bad happen?

Small groups is always better.

Welcome again!

Gary

New guy introduction Rywt5710
Back to top Go down
https://clippermarine.forumotion.com
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sailboat : Clipper Marine 26
Male Join date : 2012-05-24
Job/hobbies : Electronics Engineer

PostSubject: Re: New guy introduction   New guy introduction EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 2:17 pm

Gary,

I am bossy in nature so 6 adults would be a cake walk. My clipper 26 can hold 4 in the cock pit with a ton of room for tacks. 2 more in the cabin would make 6.

I would not take this many people sailing if I was not confidant in my skill and if the conditions were marginal. But for a day sail no problem.

My website
Back to top Go down
http://www.theabrainfamily.com
rstackjd
Posting Member

PostSubject: Re: New guy introduction   New guy introduction EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 2:21 pm

Good points Gary. I agree, we wouldn't be taking the kids out for some time - certainly not until I was really comfortable with everything. Just don't want to buy something that I know, from the outset, won't meet the intermediate or long term goals.
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin
Gary

Sailboat : Pair CM 32's Aft Cabin Ketch & Aft Cockpit
Male Birthday : 1956-10-17
Job/hobbies : Artist

PostSubject: Re: New guy introduction   New guy introduction EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 7:40 pm

I know, you know, I just worry, kids are so trusting, and they also beg for stuff we have to say no to.

Gary

New guy introduction Rywt5710
Back to top Go down
https://clippermarine.forumotion.com
Everett CM32
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Everett CM32

Sailboat : CM32 Aft Cockpit
Male Join date : 2011-12-28
Job/hobbies : Nuclear Nomad

PostSubject: Re: New guy introduction   New guy introduction EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 6:13 am

rstackjd wrote:

Does anyone have experience with these boats on Michigan or the other Great Lakes? My buddy (who is sort of a sailing snob) says that a 26' swing keel boat is too small for Lake Michigan. Then again, he sails a 30' full keel S2.

Thanks

Bob

Welcome Bob!!

While I have not been out on Lake Mich on a CM26 I have been on numerous day sails out of Milwaukee on my friend's 22 foot boat. I can't think of the brand but she has a small drop board and water ballast. We were never out in major weather but were in the typical 4 to 6 waves and once a good bit higher. I always felt safe and comfortable.

My friend has sail Sushi Bucket to the Saint Martin Bay area of Canada which is past Mackinac Island. On the return he was caught in some snotty weather coming through the north gap. He also has buried the rail on many occasions while sailing through a blow on the lake.

I would never suggest irresponsible actions to prove a point but sailing the Great Lakes has a lot more to do w/ a sound boat (whatever size), capabilities, and comfort zone, than just making judgements based on size or brand of boat.

I wish you the best and hope you post some of your adventures here no matter what boat you end up on.

If I may ask where you are located? I spent my summers as a youth exploring the west coast of Mich, UP, and learned to sail on Gull Lake outside of Kalamazoo. I love MI.

Ev.

1977 CM32 Sloop "J.F. Gone" Currently in re-fit, splashing 2013
1972 South Coast Seacraft 26 S/V "Seaweed" on the hook in Key Largo pirat
Back to top Go down
rstackjd
Posting Member

PostSubject: Re: New guy introduction   New guy introduction EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 8:50 am

Everett CM32 wrote:

I would never suggest irresponsible actions to prove a point but sailing the Great Lakes has a lot more to do w/ a sound boat (whatever size), capabilities, and comfort zone, than just making judgements based on size or brand of boat.

I wish you the best and hope you post some of your adventures here no matter what boat you end up on.

If I may ask where you are located? I spent my summers as a youth exploring the west coast of Mich, UP, and learned to sail on Gull Lake outside of Kalamazoo. I love MI.

Ev.

Thanks! That's also very good and helpful information.

We live in Hartland, WI which is about 30 miles due west of Milwaukee. Recently joined South Shore Yacht Club as it's in Bay View where both my wife and I grew up.

Bob
Back to top Go down
Everett CM32
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Everett CM32

Sailboat : CM32 Aft Cockpit
Male Join date : 2011-12-28
Job/hobbies : Nuclear Nomad

PostSubject: Re: New guy introduction   New guy introduction EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 9:15 pm

We were on the verge of joining SSYC when work took us away. Very nice facility and people there.

We dropped a mooring south of there last year about this time, between the gap and Texas Rock. I would make you a good deal on it if you could utilize it once your get a boat. Or if you just want to be prepared for when you do. Had planned on keeping our CM32 on it this season, would be perfect for a 26.

As well as things are working out for us here, part of me still longs for what we had planned to do there.

All the best, Ev.

1977 CM32 Sloop "J.F. Gone" Currently in re-fit, splashing 2013
1972 South Coast Seacraft 26 S/V "Seaweed" on the hook in Key Largo pirat
Back to top Go down
rstackjd
Posting Member

PostSubject: Re: New guy introduction   New guy introduction EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 10:22 pm

Everett - sent you a PM regarding the mooring.

Yes, SSYC seems like a really good bunch of people. I have several friends who have been members there for a while which was one of the things that influenced us.

Bob
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New guy introduction   New guy introduction Empty

Back to top Go down

New guy introduction
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~ :: Welcome To Clipper Marine Org & Clipper-Sailor Net :: >>CM/26-
Jump to: