~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~
Please join our forum. Ads go away for members!

~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~

The Worlds Finest Trailerable Vintage Cruising Sailboats Designed By Renowned W.I.B. Crealock N.A.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Google Map Of CM's  clipper-sailor.net  Main Page  
Latest topics
» Cruising
Strength of pop-top and hatch Emptyby Triticum Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:10 pm

» CM32 trailer setup
Strength of pop-top and hatch Emptyby martinc2 Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:02 pm

» Rudder replacement
Strength of pop-top and hatch Emptyby Triticum Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:53 pm

» Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?
Strength of pop-top and hatch Emptyby Triticum Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:15 pm

» Looking for Traveler Track for my '71 CM21
Strength of pop-top and hatch Emptyby Tim Mueller Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 pm

» Need Rigging for CM30, any thoughts on where to find it?
Strength of pop-top and hatch Emptyby JeffLee Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:04 pm

» Added Clipper Marine To Groups On Facebook
Strength of pop-top and hatch Emptyby tundrabunny Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:28 pm

» New guy lurking about for pics
Strength of pop-top and hatch Emptyby JeffLee Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:28 am

» Parting out Clipper Marine 21/ Free project boat in Michigan
Strength of pop-top and hatch Emptyby Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:04 am

» Mast repair
Strength of pop-top and hatch Emptyby Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:49 am

» Nice CM-30 for Sale in New York
Strength of pop-top and hatch Emptyby Gary Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:48 am

» CM26 Specs
Strength of pop-top and hatch Emptyby Rick26h Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:35 am

» New Member - Rockport Tx
Strength of pop-top and hatch Emptyby FreeReign Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:21 pm

» Discovery! Clipper Marine 9.3
Strength of pop-top and hatch Emptyby zdm40 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:18 pm

» Keel bolt replacement,
Strength of pop-top and hatch Emptyby martinc2 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:14 pm

» CM21 swing keel lifting system hardware
Strength of pop-top and hatch Emptyby JeffLee Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:20 am

» New member from Northern California
Strength of pop-top and hatch Emptyby JeffLee Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:25 pm

» CM 21 Upgrades
Strength of pop-top and hatch Emptyby JeffLee Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:30 am

» New boat! CM32 aft cockpit sloop
Strength of pop-top and hatch Emptyby Gary Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:59 pm

» CM21 project boat almost giveaway
Strength of pop-top and hatch Emptyby kimgwinn Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:00 pm

Keywords

Strength of pop-top and hatch

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ken Koegl
Posting Member
Ken Koegl

Sailboat : 1975 CM26

Strength of pop-top and hatch Empty
PostSubject: Strength of pop-top and hatch   Strength of pop-top and hatch EmptyTue May 28, 2013 5:52 pm

Is the pop top and hatch cover strong enought to hold a 220 pound man while lowering the mast. What weight can bow hatch hold, if any. Is it best to walk down the mast or use line from the bow, or both. This is my first time to take out of water since purchase. Took out the keel lock pin this AM. Manual says its the pin aft of the pivot bolt. Hope so or keel is on the bottom of Mission Bay.
Thanks.
Ken
Back to top Go down
tlsallada
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
tlsallada

Sailboat : CM 26
Male Birthday : 1952-03-16
Job/hobbies : Telecommunications/Security/IT - Hobby Music

PostSubject: Re: Strength of pop-top and hatch   Strength of pop-top and hatch EmptyWed May 29, 2013 9:13 am

As a 195 pound guy, I find I can walk on my poptop with no flexing whatsoever. I haven't tried stepping the mast yet as I'm still getting the boat ready for her first trip to the water under my ownership. From videos I've seen on line of others stepping their mast, I believe that by the time you get to the poptop, the mast is fairly upright and not much down force will be present.
terry s.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terry-s-music.com
Diggs
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Diggs

Sailboat : CM 26
Male Join date : 2012-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Strength of pop-top and hatch   Strength of pop-top and hatch EmptyWed May 29, 2013 10:00 am

The pop top should hold you just fine. I am not a fan of putting ANY weight on a hatch.

My wife and lower the mast together. We take the main sheet and attach it to the forestay, she sits at the bow and slowly slacks the main sheet while I walk the mast down. I carry most of the weight but it is nice to have her on that line in case something goes wrong.
Back to top Go down
Ken Koegl
Posting Member
Ken Koegl

Sailboat : 1975 CM26

PostSubject: Re: Strength of pop-top and hatch   Strength of pop-top and hatch EmptyWed May 29, 2013 11:39 am

Thank you both for your reply. After reading and the forum yesterday I went and gently tested and it did not break anything!! I will get on top only when necessary but now with less trepidation.
Now if I can get the keel raised I will be getting out of the water. Was not successful in raising keel yesterday and a diver is coming back to try and clean box and keel in a few hours. The boss is suggesting that it may not work due to rust, corrision, and marine growth.
If can't raise keel I guess I will have to re-sale and pay slip fees until I can. What about having it raised out on sling? Or other thoughts would be appreciated. I'm trying to stay positive and not think that it was a BIG mistake in buying.
Thanks again.
Ken
Back to top Go down
Triticum
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Triticum

Sailboat : Clipper Marine 26
Male Join date : 2012-10-27
Job/hobbies : IT

PostSubject: Re: Strength of pop-top and hatch   Strength of pop-top and hatch EmptyWed May 29, 2013 8:41 pm

Check out "Follow the mast". I can raise and lower the mast by myself without leaving the bow using an A frame made out of a couple of metal poles.

The diver is not going to have much fun. The keel well is narrow. Been there, done that, recently! I'm also a diver as well as a CM owner. Make sure he has tools that are narrow and long or he won't be able to do much. You should also look at the hole where the cable goes through the top of the well. It may not be doing what you expect.

Most of my problems have been related to the cable but my ship doesn't sit in the water for extended periods so you are probably encountering other issues.

I have managed to pull the CM 26 onto the trailer with the keel cable gone. It is a question of being able to get enough force on it. You might try tying her up well and having the diver put a cable or rope on the botom of the keel and hooking a come a long to a piling and see what happens then. You can put a log of force on the keel that way. All the diver can do is clear away small areas of muck.
Back to top Go down
frelichth
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sailboat : Clipper
Male Birthday : 1959-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Strength of pop-top and hatch   Strength of pop-top and hatch EmptyThu May 30, 2013 8:37 pm

I weigh in at 285 lbs and walk all over my pop top. Causes a little flex but no signs of actual weakness in the top. Oh yeah, if you're trying to raise the keel up, just a thought, is the keel locking bolt ( the forward one ) still in place? A previous owner of my boat didn't remove it and sheared it off finally. I ended up removing the remnants in three pieces and then replaced the bolt.

Terry
Back to top Go down
countryboy
Posting Member
countryboy

Sailboat : CM26
Male Birthday : 1969-11-10
Job/hobbies : truck driver

PostSubject: Re: Strength of pop-top and hatch   Strength of pop-top and hatch EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 10:00 pm

as far as getting a lift....i was quoted just today $3 a foot (boat legnth) to put mine in the water. Im sure its something similar in price to lifting it out. he wanted 75 bucks for my cm26
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin
Gary

Sailboat : Pair CM 32's Aft Cabin Ketch & Aft Cockpit
Male Birthday : 1956-10-17
Job/hobbies : Artist

PostSubject: Re: Strength of pop-top and hatch   Strength of pop-top and hatch EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 9:05 pm

Walking a on a hatch of an old sailboat for a full size adult male is pushing ones luck. My wife walks on ours, and she is about 130 soaking wet.

~~~~~ClipperMarine.Org~~~~~Clipper-Sailor.net~~~~~
Gary

Strength of pop-top and hatch Rywt5710
Back to top Go down
https://clippermarine.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strength of pop-top and hatch   Strength of pop-top and hatch Empty

Back to top Go down

Strength of pop-top and hatch
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~ :: Welcome To Clipper Marine Org & Clipper-Sailor Net :: >>CM/26-
Jump to: