~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~
Please join our forum. Ads go away for members!

Please join our forum. Ads go away for members!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Worlds Finest Trailerable Vintage Cruising Sailboats Designed By Renowned W.I.B. Crealock N.A.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Google Map Of CM's  clipper-sailor.net  Main Page  
Latest topics
» Bimini Top
stuck keel  - Page 2 Emptyby sac4440 Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:00 pm

» Cruising
stuck keel  - Page 2 Emptyby Triticum Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:10 pm

» CM32 trailer setup
stuck keel  - Page 2 Emptyby martinc2 Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:02 pm

» Rudder replacement
stuck keel  - Page 2 Emptyby Triticum Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:53 pm

» Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?
stuck keel  - Page 2 Emptyby Triticum Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:15 pm

» Looking for Traveler Track for my '71 CM21
stuck keel  - Page 2 Emptyby Tim Mueller Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 pm

» Need Rigging for CM30, any thoughts on where to find it?
stuck keel  - Page 2 Emptyby JeffLee Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:04 pm

» Added Clipper Marine To Groups On Facebook
stuck keel  - Page 2 Emptyby tundrabunny Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:28 pm

» New guy lurking about for pics
stuck keel  - Page 2 Emptyby JeffLee Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:28 am

» Parting out Clipper Marine 21/ Free project boat in Michigan
stuck keel  - Page 2 Emptyby Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:04 am

» Mast repair
stuck keel  - Page 2 Emptyby Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:49 am

» Nice CM-30 for Sale in New York
stuck keel  - Page 2 Emptyby Gary Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:48 am

» CM26 Specs
stuck keel  - Page 2 Emptyby Rick26h Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:35 am

» New Member - Rockport Tx
stuck keel  - Page 2 Emptyby FreeReign Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:21 pm

» Discovery! Clipper Marine 9.3
stuck keel  - Page 2 Emptyby zdm40 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:18 pm

» Keel bolt replacement,
stuck keel  - Page 2 Emptyby martinc2 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:14 pm

» CM21 swing keel lifting system hardware
stuck keel  - Page 2 Emptyby JeffLee Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:20 am

» New member from Northern California
stuck keel  - Page 2 Emptyby JeffLee Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:25 pm

» CM 21 Upgrades
stuck keel  - Page 2 Emptyby JeffLee Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:30 am

» New boat! CM32 aft cockpit sloop
stuck keel  - Page 2 Emptyby Gary Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:59 pm

Keywords

stuck keel

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sailboat : Clipper Marine 26
Male Join date : 2012-05-24
Job/hobbies : Electronics Engineer

stuck keel  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 12:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

Yep my keel is stuck and I knew better.

I raised my keel to high due to trailer difficulties and it became stuck in the up position. Lets say that I had a difficult time loading my boat on the trailer and the stress at that time made me raise the keel a bit too much. Dam Memorial day stress attacks again.

Is there a diagram of the keel and rigging system out there?

What can I do to get that keel working again?
Back to top Go down
http://www.theabrainfamily.com

AuthorMessage
Gary
Admin
Gary

Sailboat : Pair CM 32's Aft Cabin Ketch & Aft Cockpit
Male Birthday : 1956-10-17
Job/hobbies : Artist

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 10:38 am

Boat names usually take care of themselves. Something will come out at you. Rain is good, I fear for a dry hot summer.
Back to top Go down
https://clippermarine.forumotion.com
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 11:22 pm

Okay everyone I am getting antsy this keel wont drop. I spent the better half of the day raising the keel using a Jack. Then I climbed inside and lifted the pin to move the wench, all I could do is raise the keel more. She wont lower, any ideas?

I am considering removing the wench and installing a new one. Is this difficult to do when there is tension on the cable?
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin
Gary

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 11:34 pm

The basic function of this swing keel is not unlike other manufacturers that also make swing keels. Finding another Clipper Marine owner in your docks is not going to be easy / possible, but someone near by has a similar boat as yours, and I think it best to find a like minded person with similar equipment and let them look at it with you. Two heads are better than one, kind of a deal.

You cannot remove the wench with tension on the cable. NO.
Back to top Go down
Everett CM32
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Everett CM32

Sailboat : CM32 Aft Cockpit
Male Join date : 2011-12-28
Job/hobbies : Nuclear Nomad

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 4:46 am

Not familiar w/ your exact set up other than pics I have seen over the years. I do have a bit of experience w/ wire rope and winches. As we have recently finished our job contract I am available. Fly us there and we will get her fixed. Seriously.

I agree w/ Kelly. The winch looks good. I don't understand why the cable has constant tension though. You should be able to release the winch and get some slack in the cable. Many times winches are in need of lubrication. Cables as well. Is it a two-way winch?

So you were able to raise it with the wench after you jacked it? If it took force to raise it by using a jack you will likely have to power it out the same way. I am wondering if there is room to get a Porta-Power in there.

Work safe and consider the offer Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kelly CM26
Posting Member

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 8:36 pm

I'm still afraid of powering down with tension on the winch. I can't see that having a good outcome. I would contact the manufacturer, see if they have a guess. Hope you got a money back guarantee on all this free advice. As a last resort, you could cut the cable, if you have the keel supported. Then you have the problem of reconnecting it,that comes with its own issues, you have to raise the boat off the trailer. Tomorrow my girl goes down two slips to a Hydrolift, so we can get to the broken keel cable.
Back to top Go down
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 11:02 pm

Tomorrow ill try to lower / work / figure out the keel issue again.

Today was a nightmare as I rewired the entire electrical system on the boat. It was actually quite easy to install once I got the birds nest out. I had an assortment of different gauge wire and connections twisted up inside this boat, just a fire in the works. After today its all clean and professional - I feel safer.

All I have left to do is replace the bow light.

Wish me luck.
Back to top Go down
Everett CM32
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Everett CM32

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 6:36 am

Definitely do not attempt to power it down if there is tension on the winch. Getting slack in the cable should be first priority. Then with a free running winch I would power keel down. FWIW. Be safe.

Is it possible that a loop of cable got stuck beside the keel? Did the keel get bumped up while loading?

After jacking the keel up there should have been slack in the cable. Did you use the winch after you jacked the keel? Just trying to figure this out.
Back to top Go down
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 9:05 am

Last time while sailing I hit nothing, there is no objects in the way either. I simply raised the keel to high by cranking on the wench and I believe that is how it became stuck.

How high can I jack the keel up? I ask because I don't want further damage or issues like it getting stuck even more, or will it not get stuck at all?

Ill jack it up then Ill go inside the cabin and try to release the tension. I think my wench is damaged and if so can I replace it by keeping the keel jacked upwards thus allowing removal the wench?

Back to top Go down
Everett CM32
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Everett CM32

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 9:36 am

So basically there is so much tension on the winch that you can not turn the drum enough to trip the dog and let it release?? Beyond using a socket over the winch handle nut connected to a long breaker bar to leverage the winch enough to pry the dog loose using another bar, try slowly unbolting the winch.

As you mention jack/secure the keel first to make sure it won't come down.

In the picture it looks like unbolting the winch should be straight forward. Remember you are dealing w/ stored energy so go slow and safe. Extra person would help.

I think your winch is likely jammed but not damaged. Most winches will rip themselves from their mount or break the attachment point before harming themselves. Just my experience, your mileage may vary. Judging by the pics yours is ready for a lube job.

Best of luck. Be safe. Wish I were there to help, Ev.
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin
Gary

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 11:17 am

Mac wenches have a brake and no switch to flip you just turn one way to raise and the other way to lower. I suspect that would come in handy (understatement) here.
Back to top Go down
Kelly CM26
Posting Member

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 9:11 pm

My boat has an automatic winch that cranks in either direction, but that was What I was worried aqbout, this is likely not a original. Maybe a trailor winch? I like Everett's idea of slowly loosening the holding bolts. On a happier note my boat is sporting a brand new cable.
Back to top Go down
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 9:33 pm

All right people I removed the keel wench. It was simple to remove once I had the keel held in place with a jack and some wood for safety. It was just 2 bolts holding it in place.

Looks like I should replace the wench (its got some broken teeth) but not sure where to get one. I am going to start looking at RV stores here locally. I have got to sail this weekend so I am determined to get it complete soon.

I want to replace the cable also but I have yet to figure this out. I imagine Ill have to do it while the boat is in the water. Funny cause my greatest fear in life is the underside of a boat! I know, its strange but I got one fear and that is it.

Here is a video of the wench removed, sorry for the poor quality I am not a film maker. Soon ill post a video of the new one going in.

https://youtu.be/QOqnK3YHtjI

Back to top Go down
Kelly CM26
Posting Member

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 10:52 pm

Progress at last. My winch is a Fulton atomatic brake. I don't have a model number. The autobrake means it doesn't have the lever to let it down. You just crank it backwards. You don't need a real heavy one the keel only weighs 500 lbs. More important is that it will fit. Everett probably knows more than I. You may want to throw another trailor winch in to get you through this weekend. Harbor Freight, Graingers maybe. We can chat about cable replacement after your weekend sail. Nice looking boat, somebody took good care of her. Next time have someone take you in the picture.
Back to top Go down
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 11:22 pm

Kelly,

Yes, progress is mine Smile thanks for the help. Harbor Freight is an awesome idea as you say, it will get me in the water this weekend. Then I can put a solid wench in its place afterwards.

The pictures are not honest, this boat needs a bit of work. I would love to tear our all the wood and replace it with marine grade, but then again I want to sail!

Back to top Go down
Everett CM32
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Everett CM32

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 5:24 am

Great news Floody!!

Nice if you can find an auto-brake winch as Kelly mentioned. Here is what I will be mounting on Seaweed soon.

http://m.northerntool.com/northerntool/product/detail.do?itemId=638610

To get you going for the week end also check hardware or tractor supply stores, even auto parts stores sometimes offer a cheap one to get you going. Usually the light duty ones are universal and should bolt right up.
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin
Gary

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:37 am

Macs use the auto brake wenches and they work well. A worm gear wench would also hold the load automatically.
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin
Gary

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:51 am

Some people switch over to small electric ones. You can raise and lower the keel from the cockpit while sailing. Would be a great idea for people working in shallows.
Back to top Go down
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:52 am

I have considered an electric wench. I am going to shop around today and see what I can find.
Back to top Go down
Everett CM32
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Everett CM32

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 12:36 pm

I am replacing an electric winch. While it WAS handy especially w/ the long control cord it had it's drawbacks. I say was because it has finally completely died. I am sure the salt environment aided in this. To my knowledge it lasted less than 6 months.

The model we have was slow and noisy. When we bought Seaweed the winch had the factory galvanized cable which rusted and snapped twice in two months before I got it switched out w/ SS. The model we have can only be cranked up w/out power, not down. While at anchor I like the keel up far enough to keep the block and cable out of the water. So now our keel is stuck up until I swap out the winches. I don't like not having an option. Especially when I want to go sailing. Evil or Very Mad

Just my experience and only w/ one model of winch.

Keep in mind the power consumption as well. Any model will need juice.
Back to top Go down
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 9:53 pm

So I want to thank everyone for helping me get back in the water. My keel is fixed.

I went to harbor freight and bought a cheap mechanical wench, or so I thought. This wench is actually not to shabby. It wont last forever but for what I paid ($22.00) its of good quality, I would wager that it would last for 3 years perhaps more if it were stainless.

I am pleased that I can sail again and thanks for the advice.
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin
Gary

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 pm

Seriously Happy For You!

Hope you get more winds than my day out yesterday!
Back to top Go down
Everett CM32
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Everett CM32

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 5:49 am

That's great news!! Cool

Keep it well lubricated and you may be surprised how long it may last.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: stuck keel    stuck keel  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

stuck keel
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2