~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~
Please join our forum. Ads go away for members!

Please join our forum. Ads go away for members!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Worlds Finest Trailerable Vintage Cruising Sailboats Designed By Renowned W.I.B. Crealock N.A.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Google Map Of CM's  clipper-sailor.net  Main Page  
Latest topics
» Bimini Top
Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 Emptyby sac4440 Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:00 pm

» Cruising
Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 Emptyby Triticum Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:10 pm

» CM32 trailer setup
Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 Emptyby martinc2 Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:02 pm

» Rudder replacement
Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 Emptyby Triticum Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:53 pm

» Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?
Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 Emptyby Triticum Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:15 pm

» Looking for Traveler Track for my '71 CM21
Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 Emptyby Tim Mueller Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 pm

» Need Rigging for CM30, any thoughts on where to find it?
Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 Emptyby JeffLee Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:04 pm

» Added Clipper Marine To Groups On Facebook
Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 Emptyby tundrabunny Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:28 pm

» New guy lurking about for pics
Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 Emptyby JeffLee Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:28 am

» Parting out Clipper Marine 21/ Free project boat in Michigan
Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 Emptyby Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:04 am

» Mast repair
Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 Emptyby Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:49 am

» Nice CM-30 for Sale in New York
Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 Emptyby Gary Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:48 am

» CM26 Specs
Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 Emptyby Rick26h Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:35 am

» New Member - Rockport Tx
Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 Emptyby FreeReign Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:21 pm

» Discovery! Clipper Marine 9.3
Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 Emptyby zdm40 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:18 pm

» Keel bolt replacement,
Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 Emptyby martinc2 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:14 pm

» CM21 swing keel lifting system hardware
Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 Emptyby JeffLee Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:20 am

» New member from Northern California
Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 Emptyby JeffLee Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:25 pm

» CM 21 Upgrades
Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 Emptyby JeffLee Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:30 am

» New boat! CM32 aft cockpit sloop
Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 Emptyby Gary Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:59 pm

Keywords

Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?

Go down 
+6
Manitoulin
Everett CM32
frelichth
Kelly CM26
Gary
Floody
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sailboat : Clipper Marine 26
Male Join date : 2012-05-24
Job/hobbies : Electronics Engineer

Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 11:31 am

First topic message reminder :

Went sailing on the 4th and intended on sailing for a week but things dd not work out so well. Ill spare you the details and just head towards the issue...

...While sailing I went into the cabin and noticed water seeping in on the floor. I got on my belly and laid there for a bit. I noted that there was substantial flexing on the keel housing (forward where the keel hangs on the bolt) when my wife sailed over waves. I also noted that the keel was making a boom sound as we went over these waves. I raised and lowered the keel at times to try to relieve the boom sounds. But no luck!

This flexing and bulging was happening right at where the deck meets the keel housing in the curved area. The flex was bad and I could see the repair made by the PO was failing. Long story short the repair is not holding up and I want to know if this is a issue with Clippers? Can this be fixed correctly and if so how can I do it. Should I grind out the repair and see how bad it is? What do you all recommend. Also do swing keels naturally bang around inside the keel housing in moderate conditions?

Pictures will be posted as soon as I can retrieve my camera from the boat.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theabrainfamily.com

AuthorMessage
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 8:19 am

Yea good pointer.

Last night I was sanding wood and our sky's are full of dust, due to forest fires. Well this morning my lungs feel like they did back in my college days all full of smoke and grime.

Gloves and a mask are going to be on tonight.
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin
Gary

Sailboat : Pair CM 32's Aft Cabin Ketch & Aft Cockpit
Male Birthday : 1956-10-17
Job/hobbies : Artist

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 9:07 am

Fumes can be explosive so no smoking near the boat. Fumes can compile in the bottom of the boat. Exhaust fan to keep the fumes blown out is helpful. Walmart sells a little squirrel cage fan that kicks ass!
Back to top Go down
https://clippermarine.forumotion.com
irishguy
Posting Member

Sailboat : 26' Clipper

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 10:12 am

hello, first nice job on the fix, your info is very helpful as i finally splashed my boat and i think i have the same problem along the keel trunk. did u get to try it out after the fix? i set my boat at a slip for 2 weeks while i refurbished the trailer, and i didn,t see any signs of water along the trunk until i took it out for a bit, had no wind but i motered around awile and then noticed water along the trunk, i was really surprised at how much the pivot point flexed when i was just drifting along. has anyone ever opened up that and knows how it is built, or beefed it up any? on the bright side i actually got to sail for a couple hours when i first put her in and i am sure that i am hooked for life! thanks again
Back to top Go down
Floody
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 10:43 am

Yes I got her fixed and sailed her about a month ago with the new repair. All I am waiting on is painting but our weather is not allowing it at the moment. The repair was solid and no more flexing was noticed or water seeping in.

As for whats under the hood, well I can do my best to describe. The keel trunk is all fiber glass yet the deck is wood with fiber glass over the top of it. It was how mine was damaged. The wood de-laminated from the fiber glass causing it to flex and then separate from the keel trunk.

To repair it, I began grinding and cutting all the rotted wood, you will see the false bilge once you dig in. Boy does it get messy too. Then I used a grinder to make a very shallow bevel on the remaining good material, this is important because it gives the deck strength. Next came new plywood, glass, fiber mat and soon paint.
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin
Gary

Sailboat : Pair CM 32's Aft Cabin Ketch & Aft Cockpit
Male Birthday : 1956-10-17
Job/hobbies : Artist

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 10:09 pm

Glad you got all the hard work done on her. Once winter lets go of us, we can all go sailing again!
Back to top Go down
https://clippermarine.forumotion.com
Kevin "The Flying Fox"
Posting Member
Kevin

Sailboat : The Flying Fox. 1975 CM26 flushdeck
Job/hobbies : woodworker & wood finisher

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 1:58 pm

Hello everyone. Need some info? In the past I have heard of a swimmong noodle being placed at the front of the keel slot. Will the locking bolt still go through the keel with a noodle in there? So much to do before launch! Changing stripes from tan to green today to match my sail cover. Thanks for all the advise.
Back to top Go down
Triticum
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Triticum

Male Join date : 2012-10-27
Job/hobbies : IT

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 10:13 pm

Many of us do not use a locking bolt so we are not worried.  Just cut the noodle off a bit shorter.
Back to top Go down
Kevin "The Flying Fox"
Posting Member
Kevin

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 1:32 pm

I'm in the pacific so no worries about hitting bottom. Would worry more about waves tipping the boat and the keel moving. I believe the keel front face is line with the keel housing. The keel will be down for months. Cable broke last time i winched it up. Want to be more safe than sorry. Cutting it shorter will help but will need to glue in place so it doesnt get washed up into the slot.
Back to top Go down
Kevin "The Flying Fox"
Posting Member
Kevin

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 3:08 pm

I'm in the pacific so no worries about hitting bottom. Would worry more about waves tipping the boat and the keel moving. I believe the keel front face is line with the keel housing. The keel will be down for months. Cable broke last time i winched it up. Want to be more safe than sorry. Cutting it shorter will help but will need to glue in place so it doesnt get washed up into the slot.
Back to top Go down
Triticum
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Triticum

Male Join date : 2012-10-27
Job/hobbies : IT

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 09, 2015 11:15 pm

8 days in the water and the floor is still dry!  I finally got the keel well water tight!  Yea!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?    Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?  - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3