~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~
Please join our forum. Ads go away for members!

Please join our forum. Ads go away for members!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Worlds Finest Trailerable Vintage Cruising Sailboats Designed By Renowned W.I.B. Crealock N.A.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Google Map Of CM's  clipper-sailor.net  Main Page  
Latest topics
» Bimini Top
New guy<<< Emptyby sac4440 Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:00 pm

» Cruising
New guy<<< Emptyby Triticum Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:10 pm

» CM32 trailer setup
New guy<<< Emptyby martinc2 Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:02 pm

» Rudder replacement
New guy<<< Emptyby Triticum Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:53 pm

» Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?
New guy<<< Emptyby Triticum Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:15 pm

» Looking for Traveler Track for my '71 CM21
New guy<<< Emptyby Tim Mueller Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 pm

» Need Rigging for CM30, any thoughts on where to find it?
New guy<<< Emptyby JeffLee Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:04 pm

» Added Clipper Marine To Groups On Facebook
New guy<<< Emptyby tundrabunny Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:28 pm

» New guy lurking about for pics
New guy<<< Emptyby JeffLee Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:28 am

» Parting out Clipper Marine 21/ Free project boat in Michigan
New guy<<< Emptyby Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:04 am

» Mast repair
New guy<<< Emptyby Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:49 am

» Nice CM-30 for Sale in New York
New guy<<< Emptyby Gary Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:48 am

» CM26 Specs
New guy<<< Emptyby Rick26h Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:35 am

» New Member - Rockport Tx
New guy<<< Emptyby FreeReign Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:21 pm

» Discovery! Clipper Marine 9.3
New guy<<< Emptyby zdm40 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:18 pm

» Keel bolt replacement,
New guy<<< Emptyby martinc2 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:14 pm

» CM21 swing keel lifting system hardware
New guy<<< Emptyby JeffLee Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:20 am

» New member from Northern California
New guy<<< Emptyby JeffLee Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:25 pm

» CM 21 Upgrades
New guy<<< Emptyby JeffLee Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:30 am

» New boat! CM32 aft cockpit sloop
New guy<<< Emptyby Gary Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:59 pm

Keywords

New guy<<<

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Matt Wahl
Posting Member

Sailboat : CM21

New guy<<< Empty
PostSubject: New guy<<<   New guy<<< EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 12:14 pm

I'm very new to owning a sailboat

I usually spend my time on the water in a 20ft bayboat.

I just recently began a restorAtion project on a clipper 21. I've done a little research online and it seems that the boat has everything to it. However I am going to attempt to restore it from bow to stern.

I'm at the stage now where I'm just sitting on the keel box staring at stuff. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin
Gary

Sailboat : Pair CM 32's Aft Cabin Ketch & Aft Cockpit
Male Birthday : 1956-10-17
Job/hobbies : Artist

New guy<<< Empty
PostSubject: Re: New guy<<<   New guy<<< EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 12:17 pm

Welcome! Glad to have you!
Seems the biggest thing for older CM's is the Folding keel and the issues that causes.
Keep us posted, and if we can help, we will.
I pinned you on our map, you are 161! Just started the map a week ago.
Back to top Go down
https://clippermarine.forumotion.com
Matt Wahl
Posting Member

New guy<<< Empty
PostSubject: Re: New guy<<<   New guy<<< EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 12:33 pm

Well thank you Gary. I'll post the progress. And I'm sure I'll be full of questions.

1st question in this new venture,,

Where can I see that map?
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin
Gary

Sailboat : Pair CM 32's Aft Cabin Ketch & Aft Cockpit
Male Birthday : 1956-10-17
Job/hobbies : Artist

New guy<<< Empty
PostSubject: Re: New guy<<<   New guy<<< EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 2:02 pm

>>Google Map Of CM's

Listed at bottom of page in footer links and I just added a link to the map in the nav bar at the top of the page. Thanks for helping me to see something needed more exposure.

Also, let me know if your pin is too far from where you want it.
Back to top Go down
https://clippermarine.forumotion.com
jrhudson
Posting Member
jrhudson

Sailboat : Former Clipper 21, former Columbia 23, current US Yachts 22 moored in Ballard, Washington
Male Join date : 2012-12-18
Job/hobbies : Job: Own bookkeeping/accounting services firm. Hobbies: Sailing, photography, guitar, computer programming.

New guy<<< Empty
PostSubject: The Clipper Mac 21 - Life changer   New guy<<< EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 11:40 pm

My life changed when I acquired a 1971 Clipper 21 (hull #168). I'd been on the water a lot in the Puget Sound region. Spent many many hours fishing in small boats and had taken numerous trips on local ferries. I had a couple of friends with sailboats and so had a handful of sailing experiences. But, my life changed when I acquired my 21-foot Clipper Mac. It was a great boat. She handled pretty severe conditions out on our area's inland seas (Puget Sound, Salish). Waves got to be tremendously large with the tide changes and gale winds working against the water. I probably came close to death a couple of times but pulled through with my Clipper Mac. The hull took a beating and held up with no cracking or bad seams.

The 450lb retractable iron keel, a real asset on the Clipper 21, can also be a liability. The mounting was very sloppy when I acquired the boat and water continuously splashed up into the cabin. The keel bumped from side to side which was bothersome. So I executed my plan: I dropped the keel out in my driveway (get help) and grinded down the blistering rust it had already accumulated. It had been in salt water. I painted the with anti-fouling paint and beefed up the sheave and bolt assembly that it pivoted on. Here's what I did and what I recommend: 1) I carved out a square depression on both outer sides of the sheave, 2) had two stainless steel plates custom cut and bolt holes drilled into them to match the positioning of the existing bolt holes in the sheave (one for the "pivot" bolt and one for the "anchor" bolt). 3) I had about 10 small screw holes punched in each plate for securing it to the fiberglass/wood sheave. 4) I used stainless steel screws to secure the plates to the sheave. 5) I then fiberglassed over the plates, sanded, and painting over the plates to match the sheave. Finally I acquired stainless steel bolts that were larger than the original ones and bought dedicated wrenches to keep on board for securing the keel when it was in the down position. After remounting the keel was tight and we had virtually no water coming into the cabin.

The Clipper 21 is a real performer. It is a light, boat. Hint, when sailing downwind, raise the keel! You'll beat boats that are larger. As you go through the sailing positions, lower the keel as you move up to close hauling where it should be all the way down and bolt-anchored.

I would love to know that someone has reconditioned one!

See my pages:
http://threesheetsnw.com/jrwave/about/
http://threesheetsnw.com/jrwave/2010/10/30/about-clipper-mac/
http://threesheetsnw.com/jrwave/clippermac/
(and post something when you get a chance)

Sincerely, J. R. Hudson

Back to top Go down
http://threesheetsnw.com/jrwave
Everett CM32
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Everett CM32

Sailboat : CM32 Aft Cockpit
Male Join date : 2011-12-28
Job/hobbies : Nuclear Nomad

New guy<<< Empty
PostSubject: Re: New guy<<<   New guy<<< EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 7:30 am

Welcome, glad you found us, first round is on me!! Cool

Sounds like you did an excellent, better than factory refurbish. Will definitely check out your blog when I get time later.

Hope you stay around and share more Clipper experiences w/ us.

All the best, Ev.
Back to top Go down
Matt Wahl
Posting Member

New guy<<< Empty
PostSubject: Re: New guy<<<   New guy<<< EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 3:52 am

Aha. I found my pin. Thank you Gary.

Mr. Hudson. I know what you mean. The keel box is the first thing I squinchd my eyes at once I learned that the keel weighed almost 400 lbs. Im glad I read posts on this forum before attempting to remove it and smash my face.

So far I've removed all the wood from the interior and I'm scraping the old paint. It's down to the fiber glass. I even removed the wood that seemed to be resined to the floor that butts up to the keel box. I've done fiberglass work before to other boats but this one takes the cake. I'm in the process of dremel cutting the fiberglass tabs that held the wood slats in place.

As far as replacing the wood , I think I'll do as floody did with the false bilge and fill it in. But the wood ribs will be completely glassed over ( I actually glassed over foam boards to created ribs in a previous project

Now for the real question. The paint, how does using aircraft paint stripper sound , has anyone tried this on a boat interior? The scraping is getting old and I know there is a stripper that won't hurt composites.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Matt Wahl
Posting Member

New guy<<< Empty
PostSubject: Re: New guy<<<   New guy<<< EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 4:07 am

Mr Hudson. I just realized. I've been reading your blog. I didn't put 2 and 2 together earlier. Lol. As a matter of fact , your story of sailing your clipper reassured me that I didn't make a mistake by jumping into this project.

It was actually on the first day that I brought this boat home that your blog popped up in a search.

Big fan.
Back to top Go down
Tiny Dancer
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Tiny Dancer

Sailboat : 1971 Clipper Marine 21
Male Birthday : 1961-02-06
Job/hobbies : Small business owner/Tile installer Sailing

New guy<<< Empty
PostSubject: Re: New guy<<<   New guy<<< EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 1:10 am

I bought a CM21 last spring with the idea of making her a real cutie... Have not done much on her yet, but will this season. I am so glad to have found this site,.. I may have some questions eventually! I love the design.. with the proud bow.. just think she should be a lot of fun to trailer her around once we get her finished. We also have a Newport 28 which we do not trailer! Smile Hope to meet some of you one day,.. we do plan to travel with her!
Back to top Go down
http://greyfox1837@gmail.com
Sponsored content

New guy<<< Empty
PostSubject: Re: New guy<<<   New guy<<< Empty

Back to top Go down

New guy<<<
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~ :: Welcome To Clipper Marine Org & Clipper-Sailor Net :: >>CM/21-
Jump to: