~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~
Please join our forum. Ads go away for members!

Please join our forum. Ads go away for members!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Worlds Finest Trailerable Vintage Cruising Sailboats Designed By Renowned W.I.B. Crealock N.A.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Google Map Of CM's  clipper-sailor.net  Main Page  
Latest topics
» Bimini Top
A taste of Spring Emptyby sac4440 Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:00 pm

» Cruising
A taste of Spring Emptyby Triticum Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:10 pm

» CM32 trailer setup
A taste of Spring Emptyby martinc2 Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:02 pm

» Rudder replacement
A taste of Spring Emptyby Triticum Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:53 pm

» Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?
A taste of Spring Emptyby Triticum Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:15 pm

» Looking for Traveler Track for my '71 CM21
A taste of Spring Emptyby Tim Mueller Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 pm

» Need Rigging for CM30, any thoughts on where to find it?
A taste of Spring Emptyby JeffLee Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:04 pm

» Added Clipper Marine To Groups On Facebook
A taste of Spring Emptyby tundrabunny Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:28 pm

» New guy lurking about for pics
A taste of Spring Emptyby JeffLee Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:28 am

» Parting out Clipper Marine 21/ Free project boat in Michigan
A taste of Spring Emptyby Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:04 am

» Mast repair
A taste of Spring Emptyby Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:49 am

» Nice CM-30 for Sale in New York
A taste of Spring Emptyby Gary Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:48 am

» CM26 Specs
A taste of Spring Emptyby Rick26h Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:35 am

» New Member - Rockport Tx
A taste of Spring Emptyby FreeReign Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:21 pm

» Discovery! Clipper Marine 9.3
A taste of Spring Emptyby zdm40 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:18 pm

» Keel bolt replacement,
A taste of Spring Emptyby martinc2 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:14 pm

» CM21 swing keel lifting system hardware
A taste of Spring Emptyby JeffLee Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:20 am

» New member from Northern California
A taste of Spring Emptyby JeffLee Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:25 pm

» CM 21 Upgrades
A taste of Spring Emptyby JeffLee Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:30 am

» New boat! CM32 aft cockpit sloop
A taste of Spring Emptyby Gary Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:59 pm

Keywords

A taste of Spring

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
WCNewland
Posting Member
WCNewland

Sailboat : CM26
Male Birthday : 1960-11-03
Job/hobbies : Computer/Electronics Technician/Business Owner, Sailing, Music, Movies

A taste of Spring Empty
PostSubject: A taste of Spring   A taste of Spring EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 9:01 pm

A few of weeks ago there seemed to be a lot of chatter here. Then, a week of warm weather (at least here) and it got quiet. I for one got a little antsy to get outside to enjoy the welcomed break from cabin fever. I managed to take a few of my house plants out to bask in the short lived, warmth of the sun. The first day of Spring came and went with a forecast of two or more weeks of nightly temps dipping to freezing. I'm in Chattanooga, TN for goodness sake! What happened to "Global Warming", I want to be out there working on my Clipper and Boston Whaler. Instead, I'm watching beautiful snow flurries for the next two days. (not sticking). Just as well, this past week, I've been working on something very exciting to me. I hope you all don't mind, but I want to share it. The first of the year, I started working for myself, repairing computers, printers and such. I've hooked up with a company that contracts me to do service calls for them on their various accounts. They have recently me offered the opportunity to service computers in airports, medical facilities and government buildings requiring as much as a DoD (Department of Defense) Secrete Clearance. The company that contracts me is my sponsor and is flipping the $1500.00 bill for this this clearance. This will open doors for work opportunities I would never have otherwise. This is truly a blessing from GOD! The application process is grueling. Background investigation going back 10 years. Covering everything from; family, friends, finance, to where I've lived, jobs, education, any type of association with other countries, criminal history and much more. Interviews by the FBI. I think it is very exciting and at the same time a little scary. Just think, if anyone can keep your secret, I can. Wink But I don't want to know your secrets. Laughing They are telling me that this clearance is good for 10 years until I have to renew. I wonder if the next time I fly, if I show my ID, would I still have to take my shoes off? Shocked Well, I haven't got it yet, I should have the application completed by next week and then submit it. It shouldn't take long to hear something. Wish me luck! Smooth sailing to you all, Chip
Back to top Go down
Triticum
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Triticum

Sailboat : Clipper Marine 26
Male Join date : 2012-10-27
Job/hobbies : IT

A taste of Spring Empty
PostSubject: Re: A taste of Spring   A taste of Spring EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 12:04 am

I remember when my Dad wient through that process. He had to list all of the organizations he had ever been part of. Really scarry groups like YMCA Indian guides, Cub Scouts and so forth. Many years later He had to ask permission from the Feds before we could travel to Chekslovikia to visit the town some of the ancesters came from. That was 77 and he was an aircraft engine engineer with knowledge of the fan cores that were used in both commercial and military aircraft. I'd like to think we have made progress since then. Hope it doesn't take 9 years to come through Smile

The weather is getting up into the 50's here. You have to understand that PNW summer is usually in the 80's so we are getting close enough Smile I got the mast light fitting replaced. Cleaned out a fuel tank and put clean gas in it. The engine is running again. Something about NOT dumping out the last couple of gallons of old sludge and then putting in a couple of gallons of new gas was keeping it from actually running late last fall. Bought my season's launch permit for the city ramp. (3 miles from the house). Worked on my tax return and decided I could spend some money so bought a Coolpix AW100 camera. It is waterproof and also does videos. I've been watching LeaLea and SE Alaska sailing videos... Yes! I am ready for spring! (yes, I still have a list of things I ought to do to the boat...)
Back to top Go down
Triticum
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Triticum

A taste of Spring Empty
PostSubject: Re: A taste of Spring   A taste of Spring EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 8:40 pm

Spring has sprung and Triticum has sailed! Very Happy

Olympia had blue sky, sun and 66 degrees today. It also had light winds! The critical project for the day encountered no unexpected snags so I made it down to the ramp about 1:30pm. She was ready to launch about 2pm, right a max low tide. Wow! I have never seen that ramp look sooooo loooong! She didn't float off the trailer, there just wasn't enough water. Finally about three we decided to try again. There was a smaller sailboat that had just put in so we tried to launch again. It still wasn't easy but it seemed like we were pretty close now! I tied her to the dock and very gently eased the trailer out from under her. I thought we were home free then realized she was stuck in the mud. That didn't make much sense so I checked the winch. The handle was off so I figured the keel swung down and stuck in the mud. I winched it up a bit and we were free again.

While I parked the car, Dad got to chatting with the folks in the sailboat that had launched. They had recently rebuilt a CAL 30 and then sold it. They started talking about getting another boat and a neighbor heard. He said there was this old sailboat that had been sitting in his back yard for 10 years they could have. They cleaned it up and she was really quite pretty.... Yep, You guessed it! It is a Clipper Marine 21! They bought a motor for her and are going to keep her moored at one of the local marinas this summer (while they work on the trailer). Another great Clipper story!

We loaded up Triticum and the motor was a bit cranky but it soon pulled us out of the launch area and headed us North out in to the bay. This is the first time I have had the 9.9 working on Triticum and I was very pleased how she moves under power. It makes getting out of the confined launch area very simple.

The sun was out and felt warm! The water is still cold and green. Mount Ranier was brilliant white and the tops of the olympics were also beautiful! The wind was variable from almost totally calm to a nice breeze. A great day to start the boating season!

p.s. Note to self. It is more fun to sail when you remember to put in the main sheet. The bow line with no pulleys just doesn't make an acceptable replacement... Second note to self, buy a tide guide Tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
Tiny Dancer
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Tiny Dancer

Sailboat : 1971 Clipper Marine 21
Male Birthday : 1961-02-06
Job/hobbies : Small business owner/Tile installer Sailing

A taste of Spring Empty
PostSubject: Re: A taste of Spring   A taste of Spring EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 9:50 pm

Great story! Mine is not so much fun... Sanded teak and cranked up the engine... no sailing today for me though.
Back to top Go down
http://greyfox1837@gmail.com
Triticum
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Triticum

A taste of Spring Empty
PostSubject: Re: A taste of Spring   A taste of Spring EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 11:24 pm

Bud Bay - Looking South to Olympia - Capital building is on the bluff.

A taste of Spring Budbay10

Mount Ranier

A taste of Spring Budbay11

Looking North

A taste of Spring Budbay12

The Olympic Mountains - Looking East

A taste of Spring Budbay13

The Olympic Mountains - looking North East

A taste of Spring Budbay14
Back to top Go down
WCNewland
Posting Member
WCNewland

Sailboat : CM26
Male Birthday : 1960-11-03
Job/hobbies : Computer/Electronics Technician/Business Owner, Sailing, Music, Movies

A taste of Spring Empty
PostSubject: Re: A taste of Spring   A taste of Spring EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 9:35 am

Triticum, thanks for responding, the site got so quiet lately, I thought I might have overwhelmed ya'll with my somewhat long winded stories. Then I realized you guys actually have lives and with warmer weather almost here, you have better things to do than to sit around pecking away on the computer keyboards. I too am looking forward to start getting my boat ready for sailing. I need to buy my registration for this year and a new deep cycle marine battery. Best part is I can get everything at Walmart. Fortunately, we don't have to pay for public access fees yet, where I put in, (also three miles from the house). Sounds like you are well on your way to a good season of sailing. When I first got my Boston Whaler, I was ready to go at the drop of a hat. Then when I got my Clipper, I would always be on the lake on or before Easter weekend. Now, all I can hope for is to be sailing sometime this May, (limited funds as usual). As much as I’d love to have fresh paint, new upholstery, etc… a ship I can show off, I have to keep in mind what’s most important to me, my love for sailing, ie… the feeling, freedom, the act, the peace of mind I get when I’m on the water with wind in my sails, the slight rush when I’m heeling at a 45. Since your first post in response to my last post, while I was composing this post, you posted your pictures. It looks like you gotten have gotten some good use out of that new camera. Absolutely beautiful shots. What a nice touch those white capped mountains are to the magnificent scenery there. Keep them coming! Happy Easter to you all. Chip
P.S. A toast; Cheers to a clean fuel tank and fresh gas! Razz
Back to top Go down
Tiny Dancer
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Tiny Dancer

Sailboat : 1971 Clipper Marine 21
Male Birthday : 1961-02-06
Job/hobbies : Small business owner/Tile installer Sailing

A taste of Spring Empty
PostSubject: Re: A taste of Spring   A taste of Spring EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 5:20 pm

Nice pictures, the perfect "pick-me-up" to come in and see after working on the CM21 for the past few Hrs! Exactly why we do it! 21
Back to top Go down
http://greyfox1837@gmail.com
Triticum
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Triticum

A taste of Spring Empty
PostSubject: Re: A taste of Spring   A taste of Spring EmptySat Jun 01, 2013 10:11 pm

Some hours available on a Saturday afternoon. Wind wasn't looking too bad. So it is time!

A taste of Spring Budd_s10

Turns out the local fleet has a race scheduled for the afternoon.

A taste of Spring Budd_s11

We stayed out of the way and still had a good time. We followed one of the ships back towards the harbor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A taste of Spring Empty
PostSubject: Re: A taste of Spring   A taste of Spring Empty

Back to top Go down

A taste of Spring
Page 1 of 1