~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~
Please join our forum. Ads go away for members!

Please join our forum. Ads go away for members!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Worlds Finest Trailerable Vintage Cruising Sailboats Designed By Renowned W.I.B. Crealock N.A.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Google Map Of CM's  clipper-sailor.net  Main Page  
Latest topics
» Bimini Top
disasterous day Emptyby sac4440 Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:00 pm

» Cruising
disasterous day Emptyby Triticum Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:10 pm

» CM32 trailer setup
disasterous day Emptyby martinc2 Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:02 pm

» Rudder replacement
disasterous day Emptyby Triticum Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:53 pm

» Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?
disasterous day Emptyby Triticum Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:15 pm

» Looking for Traveler Track for my '71 CM21
disasterous day Emptyby Tim Mueller Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 pm

» Need Rigging for CM30, any thoughts on where to find it?
disasterous day Emptyby JeffLee Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:04 pm

» Added Clipper Marine To Groups On Facebook
disasterous day Emptyby tundrabunny Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:28 pm

» New guy lurking about for pics
disasterous day Emptyby JeffLee Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:28 am

» Parting out Clipper Marine 21/ Free project boat in Michigan
disasterous day Emptyby Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:04 am

» Mast repair
disasterous day Emptyby Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:49 am

» Nice CM-30 for Sale in New York
disasterous day Emptyby Gary Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:48 am

» CM26 Specs
disasterous day Emptyby Rick26h Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:35 am

» New Member - Rockport Tx
disasterous day Emptyby FreeReign Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:21 pm

» Discovery! Clipper Marine 9.3
disasterous day Emptyby zdm40 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:18 pm

» Keel bolt replacement,
disasterous day Emptyby martinc2 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:14 pm

» CM21 swing keel lifting system hardware
disasterous day Emptyby JeffLee Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:20 am

» New member from Northern California
disasterous day Emptyby JeffLee Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:25 pm

» CM 21 Upgrades
disasterous day Emptyby JeffLee Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:30 am

» New boat! CM32 aft cockpit sloop
disasterous day Emptyby Gary Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:59 pm

Keywords

disasterous day

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
countryboy
Posting Member
countryboy

Sailboat : CM26
Male Birthday : 1969-11-10
Job/hobbies : truck driver

disasterous day Empty
PostSubject: disasterous day   disasterous day EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 5:39 pm

well, took her out into green bay finally today, not knowing there is a very small channel we were supposed to stay in. ran aground 3 times.  once with keel all the way down.  so i raised keel up half way.  20 minutes later, run aground again.  so i raise keel all the way up.  half hour later, run aground again.  guess i need to start reading some charts.  i was well over a mile out all 3 times.

the rudder......is another problem.  mine is one of them split rudders, can raise it up when trailoring the boat.  however, mine keeps coming up on its own, every so often.  sure makes it very hard to turn the boat, with both rudder and keel up.  gave up early, brought her back into the slip.

speaking of which, tomorrow i trailer the boat for the first time.  first time in water, i had marina put her in.  i wanted them close by in case anything should go wrong.  think i will try that 2 pulley method i say on youtube.  looked pretty promising, and pretty easy.

thruout all that tossing and turning, from running aground, somehow the boom line got out of control, went overboard, and go wrapped  up in the prop.  easy fix, i shot off motor as soon as i saw it go in.  for a moment there, i thought "im gonna get stranded out here" lol.  no rudder, no keel.....and no way to bring in the main sail.  

does anyone have any ideas about my rudder?  would greatly appreciate it.  i'd say it raises almost all the way up every half hour or so.  in a good 20 knot wind, everyone knows, just cant turn rudder to the side and kick it down lol
Back to top Go down
frelichth
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sailboat : Clipper
Male Birthday : 1959-02-21

disasterous day Empty
PostSubject: Re: disasterous day   disasterous day EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 12:15 am

First let's start off by saying there are two kinds of sailors. Ones who have gone aground and those who are going to. It will happen to us all sooner or later. That being said I can whole-heartedly recommend the course on navigation by David Burch. It is available through Starpath at http://www.starpath.com/ or as an e-book at about half the price through Amazon as a Kindle book if you have a reader.

As for the rudder, not having seen it. I am assuming you have the rudder that came stock with the craft. Pinning the swinging part of the rudder with a wooden dowel with cotter keys to keep the ends in place may solve your problem. Just drill a hole through both parts of the rudder some distance away from the pivot and pin it down. Start out small and test the stress required to shear the pin. You don't want it too stout or you could do damage striking and object with the rudder. At the same time it needs to hold the lower in place firmly until you actually strike bottom or a rock. This will function just as a shear pin does on a propeller. If you could post a picture of the offending rudder it would actually help in diagnosis of the problem, but this is a best guess for a fix without actually viewing the rudder.

Fair winds
Terry
Back to top Go down
countryboy
Posting Member
countryboy

Sailboat : CM26
Male Birthday : 1969-11-10
Job/hobbies : truck driver

disasterous day Empty
PostSubject: Re: disasterous day   disasterous day EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 7:49 am

i think you nailed it on the head.  sad part is, i work 80 hours a week, and only home 2 days, if that.  sorry to say, most of the work i will not be able to do myself, but i can have done.  thank you frelichth.

99% of my boat is all original, i am very happy to say.  even the pin hole for the lock for the swing keel, i dont think that bolt has ever moved, still has the original rubber parts on the washers, and still functions perfectly.

that course, i will look into while on the road this next week.

thanks a whole heap
kevin
Back to top Go down
srimes
Posting Member
srimes

Sailboat : 1971 CM 21

disasterous day Empty
PostSubject: Re: disasterous day   disasterous day EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 3:35 pm

a: add lead to the rudder so that it wants to stay down

b: run line down the front of rudder so that when you pull up on the line in lowers the rudder blade.  Can use auto releasing camcleats to hold it down yet release if you hit something.  http://duckworksbbs.com/hardware/cleats/sd002570/index.htm
Back to top Go down
Triticum
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Triticum

Sailboat : Clipper Marine 26
Male Join date : 2012-10-27
Job/hobbies : IT

disasterous day Empty
PostSubject: Re: disasterous day   disasterous day EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 8:26 pm

I claim to be a third type of sailor.  I'm trying to carve my name in runes on the top of the Olympia rock which is less of a rock than the top of a gravel bar!  The only problem is that I can only hit it when the tide is out!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

disasterous day Empty
PostSubject: Re: disasterous day   disasterous day Empty

Back to top Go down

disasterous day
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~ :: Welcome To Clipper Marine Org & Clipper-Sailor Net :: >>CM/26-
Jump to: