~~ClipperMarine.org ~~ FORUM ~~ GALLERY ~~ Clipper-Sailor.net~~
Please join our forum. Ads go away for members!

Please join our forum. Ads go away for members!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Worlds Finest Trailerable Vintage Cruising Sailboats Designed By Renowned W.I.B. Crealock N.A.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Google Map Of CM's  clipper-sailor.net  Main Page  
Latest topics
» Bimini Top
Rigging diagram wanted Emptyby sac4440 Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:00 pm

» Cruising
Rigging diagram wanted Emptyby Triticum Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:10 pm

» CM32 trailer setup
Rigging diagram wanted Emptyby martinc2 Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:02 pm

» Rudder replacement
Rigging diagram wanted Emptyby Triticum Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:53 pm

» Keel meets the hull - damage. Repairable or new boat?
Rigging diagram wanted Emptyby Triticum Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:15 pm

» Looking for Traveler Track for my '71 CM21
Rigging diagram wanted Emptyby Tim Mueller Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 pm

» Need Rigging for CM30, any thoughts on where to find it?
Rigging diagram wanted Emptyby JeffLee Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:04 pm

» Added Clipper Marine To Groups On Facebook
Rigging diagram wanted Emptyby tundrabunny Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:28 pm

» New guy lurking about for pics
Rigging diagram wanted Emptyby JeffLee Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:28 am

» Parting out Clipper Marine 21/ Free project boat in Michigan
Rigging diagram wanted Emptyby Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:04 am

» Mast repair
Rigging diagram wanted Emptyby Rick26h Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:49 am

» Nice CM-30 for Sale in New York
Rigging diagram wanted Emptyby Gary Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:48 am

» CM26 Specs
Rigging diagram wanted Emptyby Rick26h Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:35 am

» New Member - Rockport Tx
Rigging diagram wanted Emptyby FreeReign Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:21 pm

» Discovery! Clipper Marine 9.3
Rigging diagram wanted Emptyby zdm40 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:18 pm

» Keel bolt replacement,
Rigging diagram wanted Emptyby martinc2 Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:14 pm

» CM21 swing keel lifting system hardware
Rigging diagram wanted Emptyby JeffLee Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:20 am

» New member from Northern California
Rigging diagram wanted Emptyby JeffLee Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:25 pm

» CM 21 Upgrades
Rigging diagram wanted Emptyby JeffLee Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:30 am

» New boat! CM32 aft cockpit sloop
Rigging diagram wanted Emptyby Gary Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:59 pm

Keywords

Rigging diagram wanted

Go down 
+3
Gary
frelichth
tlsallada
7 posters
AuthorMessage
tlsallada
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
tlsallada

Sailboat : CM 26
Male Birthday : 1952-03-16
Job/hobbies : Telecommunications/Security/IT - Hobby Music

Rigging diagram wanted Empty
PostSubject: Rigging diagram wanted   Rigging diagram wanted EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 7:33 pm

I have a box with all the rigging and a naked mast - I know the two go together but don't know what- goes -where. Does anyone happen to have a clear diagram of how and where the rigging attaches to the mast and connections on the boat ? The diagram here on this website just isn't very clear and doesn't help me too much. I've tried also some of the various photos but most do not show the top of the mast and the boat at the same time.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

terry
Back to top Go down
http://www.terry-s-music.com
frelichth
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sailboat : Clipper
Male Birthday : 1959-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Rigging diagram wanted   Rigging diagram wanted EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 8:11 pm

Start with the Clipper Marine manual link at the bottom of the page here. In the back of the manual is all of the specs for all of the Clippers. You will find all of the shroud and stay lengths listed there. Measure the eye to eye lengths of all of the rigging and get them sorted out and marked. After that I can send you closeup pix of my rig and descriptions as necessary to get you rigged up. Hope that helps.

Terry
Back to top Go down
tlsallada
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
tlsallada

PostSubject: Re: Rigging diagram wanted   Rigging diagram wanted EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 9:00 pm

Okay I got them measured and marked - It would be great if you could point me to a diagram of which length goes where on the boat!! Thanks again for helping out this newby!!

terry
Back to top Go down
frelichth
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Rigging diagram wanted   Rigging diagram wanted EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 8:12 pm

OK, Here goes. I'll start with a couple of basic diagrams and then show pix of corresponding parts on a CM26.

Basic end view

Basic side view
Now for the cross reference:
The upper shrouds connect a the masthead on each side.
Rigging diagram wanted 00810
The cable in the center is the upper shroud. The upper and lower cables are the fore and aft stays.
The lower part of the upper shroud connects to the middle chainplate.
Rigging diagram wanted 00410
Make sure you have toggles on the turnbuckles at the chainplates to avoid inducing lateral forces on the gear.
The middle of the upper shroud is captured by the spreader tip and holds it out.
Rigging diagram wanted 00611
Spreader tip on deck with mast down.
The lower shrouds attach fore and aft at the chainplates and just below the spreaders there is the upper attachment points. The longer pair of stays goes aft.
Rigging diagram wanted 00710
The lower shroud plates are to the right of the spreaders.
The rear stay attaches to the rear of the masthead with a toggle and at the rear of the boat at the chainplate.
Rigging diagram wanted 00910
Masthead, lower connection is rear stay.
Rigging diagram wanted 00110
Lower chainplate, note adjustable anchor plate.
The forward stay also connects to the masthead and goes to the forward chainplate.
Rigging diagram wanted 01010
Upper masthead mounting with toggle. Pointing up.
Rigging diagram wanted 00510
The lower chainplate. Attach the forward shroud here at the foremost hole as to allow for attachment of the headsail tack (forecorner).
That covers the standing rigging. Forgive the photos as she is still under tarp for storage and I just pulled them back to get photos. Hope it clears it up enough for you to get her rigged.
Terry

Last edited by frelichth on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tlsallada
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
tlsallada

PostSubject: Re: Rigging diagram wanted   Rigging diagram wanted EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 9:39 pm

WOW !! I really appreciate all the trouble you went to to capture those photos!! That helps a lot. Can I ask what book the photos were taken from??

terry
Back to top Go down
Gary
Admin
Gary

Sailboat : Pair CM 32's Aft Cabin Ketch & Aft Cockpit
Male Birthday : 1956-10-17
Job/hobbies : Artist

PostSubject: Re: Rigging diagram wanted   Rigging diagram wanted EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 1:04 am

Posts of this magnitude will get you Member Of The Month!

frelichth wrote:
OK, Here goes. I'll start with a couple of basic diagrams and then show pix of corresponding parts on a CM26.
Rigging diagram wanted 00210
Basic end view
Rigging diagram wanted 00310
Basic side view
Now for the cross reference:
The upper shrouds connect a the masthead on each side.
Rigging diagram wanted 00810
The cable in the center is the upper shroud. The upper and lower cables are the fore and aft stays.
The lower part of the upper shroud connects to the middle chainplate.
Rigging diagram wanted 00410
Make sure you have toggles on the turnbuckles at the chainplates to avoid inducing lateral forces on the gear.
The middle of the upper shroud is captured by the spreader tip and holds it out.
Rigging diagram wanted 00611
Spreader tip on deck with mast down.
The lower shrouds attach fore and aft at the chainplates and just below the spreaders there is the upper attachment points. The longer pair of stays goes aft.
Rigging diagram wanted 00710
The lower shroud plates are to the right of the spreaders.
The rear stay attaches to the rear of the masthead with a toggle and at the rear of the boat at the chainplate.
Rigging diagram wanted 00910
Masthead, lower connection is rear stay.
Rigging diagram wanted 00110
Lower chainplate, note adjustable anchor plate.
The forward stay also connects to the masthead and goes to the forward chainplate.
Rigging diagram wanted 01010
Upper masthead mounting with toggle. Pointing up.
Rigging diagram wanted 00510
The lower chainplate. Attach the forward shroud here at the foremost hole as to allow for attachment of the headsail tack (forecorner).
That covers the standing rigging. Forgive the photos as she is still under tarp for storage and I just pulled them back to get photos. Hope it clears it up enough for you to get her rigged.
Terry
Back to top Go down
https://clippermarine.forumotion.com
Tiny Dancer
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Tiny Dancer

Sailboat : 1971 Clipper Marine 21
Male Birthday : 1961-02-06
Job/hobbies : Small business owner/Tile installer Sailing

PostSubject: Re: Rigging diagram wanted   Rigging diagram wanted EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 7:09 pm

Nice! pirat
Back to top Go down
http://greyfox1837@gmail.com
Venture Crew 2747
Posting Member
Venture Crew 2747

Sailboat : Clipper CM26

PostSubject: I would like to add to this discussion?   Rigging diagram wanted EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 10:27 pm

Howdy! I am a BSA Venture Crew Associate Advisor (fancy name for a fool with too much time on is hands). Venturing is a coed group of high school age youth. Our aim is to take the BSA teachings to young men and women, hopefully, help strenghten the moral character of these youth...(repeat after me....herding cats).
Anyhow, some kind soul donated a CM26 to our youth, and we are struggling to come to grips with the details of what we have gotten ourselves into. This past weekend we took it to the lake with one of the "gifters" to make sure she was water worthy. I am happy to say there were no leaks, but, there were questions about raising the mast.
The "gifter" that was with us, was unsure where all the cabling went, and he was not too terribly sure that it was all present, hence the reason I found this nifty forum.
I read with interest the entire topic, and downloaded the manual that is located at the bottom of the page, but I am interested in another manual, that some pictures were taken from - FRELICHTH posted some pictures of a manual, and I could certainly see that manual helping us in our quest to understand this boat. Can I get the name of that manual? I have been poking around the web, but, the only thing I have been able to locate is the manual, that I have already retreived from the link below.
This next weekend, I wll take a printed copy of the manual and try to stage the mast and sails, and would like to be able to include the above mentioned book/manual in my materials.....your help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks in advance for the info!
Back to top Go down
frelichth
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostSubject: Re: Rigging diagram wanted   Rigging diagram wanted EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 11:18 pm

I've got the rig up right now and will be posting pix in a couple of days, including closeups of the rigging details. Please stand by Sleep.
Back to top Go down
tlsallada
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
tlsallada

PostSubject: Re: Rigging diagram wanted   Rigging diagram wanted EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 12:10 pm

Boy, am I glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't know what he's doing!! I'm working on just getting the terminology correct of what all the components are called. Who the heck made up all these terms anyway??
terry
Back to top Go down
Triticum
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Triticum

Sailboat : Clipper Marine 26
Male Join date : 2012-10-27
Job/hobbies : IT

PostSubject: Re: Rigging diagram wanted   Rigging diagram wanted EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 7:29 pm

We also ought to do a mast raising series. Does the donated ship have a bipod with a pully at the top, about 8' long? If so, it is used to raise the mast. I've made a couple of minor mods and I can now raise the mast by myself.
Back to top Go down
tlsallada
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
tlsallada

PostSubject: Re: Rigging diagram wanted   Rigging diagram wanted EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:47 pm

I thought I'd jump in here - my boat came with several 8 foot pieces of 1 1/2" PVC pipe that I believe the prior owner used to raise the mast. A mast raising series would be great!!
terry s.
Back to top Go down
countryboy
Posting Member
countryboy

Sailboat : CM26
Male Birthday : 1969-11-10
Job/hobbies : truck driver

PostSubject: Re: Rigging diagram wanted   Rigging diagram wanted EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 10:39 pm

I too, *just* today found out how most of my rigging works. thanks to all the advice and pics in these topics, i can now say i understand how most of this works. My boat came with no 8 foot nothing, no pvc piping, no helpers, not even a holder for the mast. I'm having 2nd and 3rd thoughts here of raising this mast up. where the mast bolts on, i see that the bolt can travel about 3 inches vertical. my main worry is damaging the bottom of the mast while tipping this thing up, having it scrape on the metal bracket. am i just being a bit over cautious here?
Back to top Go down
Triticum
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Triticum

PostSubject: Re: Rigging diagram wanted   Rigging diagram wanted EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 11:10 pm

The geometry will prevent this. The bolt in the slots keep the bottom of the mast from doing damage. The biggest challenge for you is getting the force onto the mast to get it up. The A frame I have allows me to rig the ship single handed. yeah, it is a lot of work to get the mast up in the air because it is so long. The A frame makes the lift process very stable.

Ref: Follow the mast
Back to top Go down
countryboy
Posting Member
countryboy

PostSubject: Re: Rigging diagram wanted   Rigging diagram wanted EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 12:31 pm

do you just keep moving this a frame inching it to the bracket?
Back to top Go down
Triticum
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Triticum

PostSubject: Re: Rigging diagram wanted   Rigging diagram wanted EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 2:58 pm

The A frame has a bolt through the bottom of the poles. It goes through the mounting strap for the forward shroud on each side. I have a rope from the top to the bow chain plate and a bungie to the mid shroud. The result is a support about 8 feet above the deck for a pulley. I run a rope through the pulley to the mast where (with the mast bolted in the mast step) the mast rests on the back of the pop-top. When I start to pull, the base of the mast pivots. Since I am pulling on the mast several feet above the base I have some leverage.

Hmmm. Maybe I should see if I can do a video of this process.
Back to top Go down
tlsallada
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
tlsallada

PostSubject: Re: Rigging diagram wanted   Rigging diagram wanted EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 7:05 pm

I video would be great!! Nothing Hollywood quality!
terry s.
Back to top Go down
countryboy
Posting Member
countryboy

PostSubject: Re: Rigging diagram wanted   Rigging diagram wanted EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 9:02 am

you have no idea how much a video of that would help. im sure there is similar video's out there somewhere, but to see it on my exact boat, will be priceless.
Back to top Go down
Triticum
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Triticum

PostSubject: Re: Rigging diagram wanted   Rigging diagram wanted EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 10:40 pm

Check out "follow the mast"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rigging diagram wanted   Rigging diagram wanted Empty

Back to top Go down

Rigging diagram wanted
Page 1 of 1